BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife another couple and me spent several days at Hawk's Cay Resort in Duck Key last week. During our stay we managed to get out on two fishing trips. The first was a wreck/reef trip Dave Schugar on the Sweet E'nuf out of Marathon. Fishing was slow at first and I finally connected with a something (probably a yellow jack). I made some progress on the fish and then the game was over. Something ate my fish and went straight to the bottom. I was absolutely unable to gain any ground on the fish and wrestled with him for about 20 minutes. Thankfully the leader finally broke off. The fished kicked my ***. Capt. Dave said it was probably a Goliath Grouper. I do not want to wrestle with one of those again. A short time later the bite really picked up on the yellow jacks, a really tough fighting fish. We also had several amberjacks in the mix and 1 really nice Mutton Snapper. We ended the day with 16 yellow jacks ranging from 6 to 13 lbs, 6 or so amberjacks up to 20 lbs and the mutton snapper weighed about 12 lbs (I have to give my wife credit for the mutton snapper). Steve the mate was great and everyone had a blast.

For the 2nd trip we went out on one of Dave's other boat with Capt. Chuck (really nice guy). I wanted to try yellowtail fishing and we did well. Our first stop did not produce so we moved inshore and managed to pick away for the balance of the trip. We ended up with 22 keeper yellowtail.

If you are looking for a trip in Marathon, Fl I would highly recommend Dave Schugar on Sweet E'nuf Charters(y)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
20190515_065120.jpg

Glad to hear you had a weather window and had a chance to get out. Those goliaths are brutal down there,, at least yours broke off.. the one I got kicked my butt for about a half an hour. Powerful fish, Dave said it was well over 500 lbs. Ate what I think was a black grouper.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just got back from Florida and stopped in Marathon. Marathon is definitely the place to be for charter action! My friend runs the Starlight 101 out of Pompano, FL and he also agrees that Marathon is awesome. I didn't get to fish during my trip unfortunately, but got to see some boats come in with the catch. Also, did you have a chance to see some of the Tarpon? They are like bluegills swimming all around the docks everywhere I went. Huge one's too...not just the little schoolies. I snorkeled and ended up running into a school of them where we all just stared at each other. A couple were as big as me. I got it on my gopro. Really cool!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just stayed at banana bay and got home monday night. It was really nice weather down there and the food is amazing.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see that resort advertised all the time on the FL fishing shows. Looks like a blast!
Hawks Cay is an awesome resort. We had a 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom townhouse. One of the best parts is that they have a separate swimming pool and bar for adults only. You do really need to research what part of the resort that you want to stay in. The resort is massive. I highly recommend the place and will be heading back again (y)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am glad to hear that. This is definitely one of the first places I will be checking out when I finally make the trip down to the keys.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think the keys are paradise, upper and lower keys. Upper keys still has good snook, trout, and redfish along with everything on the reef. Middle/Lower keys you have the gulf and the reef.
As soon as you get down there your mindset just changes. It instantly improves my mood and relaxes me. I used to go down for a month or 2 each winter, w/ my boat the last 2 years. I'd look at charts/maps and tie rigs when the weather was too rough and pick locals brains.
You never know what your gonna catch and there's a dozen fish at every spot that's exciting to catch. Up here most of the time were fishing for 1 targeted species and everything else is a trash fish.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Did my first ever keys (Marathon) trip back in April. I have to say I really fell in love with the area. Rented a house in Keys Cove. Water front house with a private pool, and a shared dock and beach area. Kids fished right off the dock and caught all kinds of fish from bay hammerhead sharks to snappers. Easy drive to Key West and the other surrounding keys.
The staff at The Tackle box were great, helping us outfit the kids for fishing.
Look forward to our next trip down.

Reactions: Road Apple

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Hawks Cay is an awesome resort. We had a 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom townhouse. One of the best parts is that they have a separate swimming pool and bar for adults only. You do really need to research what part of the resort that you want to stay in. The resort is massive. I highly recommend the place and will be heading back again (y)
What is the best time of your to vacation in your opinion. I guess summer is very hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts