BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm interested in learning about the herring run this year. Last year I tried sabikis a few times but didn't have much luck. If someone would be willing to share some tips via pm, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I dont think you'll be catching many herring on sabikis. Herring, like menhaden, are filters feeders and feed primarily on plankton.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm interested in learning about the herring run this year. Last year I tried sabikis a few times but didn't have much luck. If someone would be willing to share some tips via pm, I'd greatly appreciate it.
You really need to check every day, especially to catch the early runs before the reports come in and everyone and their grandmother is out there trying to catch them. Sabikis are the best way to do it if you want a real frisky bait, but cast and dip netting them is easier. Check up on the regs before you do it though. Historically, they start making runs though within the next week or two depending on the moon phase. If you plan on using them for live bait though, from what I understand the first ones to come in (bluebacks?) are not very hardy baits.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I dont think you'll be catching many herring on sabikis. Herring, like menhaden, are filters feeders and feed primarily on plankton.
I guess all the herring I got last year ( a few limits) on sabiki's, were by accident:nuts:
General, I'll be looking around starting tomorrow. I'll drop you a message when I hear/see anything noteworthy.
O boy, Time to burn up tanks of gas in the truck:eek:

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I guess all the herring I got last year ( a few limits) on sabiki's, were by accident:nuts:
General, I'll be looking around starting tomorrow. I'll drop you a message when I hear/see anything noteworthy.
O boy, Time to burn up tanks of gas in the truck:eek:
Herring we go again.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not only will they hit sabikies but also small gold spoons and flies.Great fight on light tackle.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Thats what you get for thinkin:razz: but then again , you might be right. Not for the reason that herring won't hit a sabiki ( you NOW realise that was wrong) but for the mere fact WE GOT EM ALL:wave:
Herringing ain't what it used to be (ie In Depth selling his dip net) I threw mine out last year.

I stll got a fistfull of sabikis and a throw net(just in case) but I would not get excited until ospreys come home.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
there were a couple of ospreys out at the brig wildlife drive yesterday :D

the herring run used to be strong enough up north that at Red Bank Shadow Lake, used to be able to dip net them (and that's just a fw trickle into the navesink). they haven't been there in over 10 years.

the state will ban them next year likely, but for now, you should (yeah, like anyone will) report your catches to Chris Smith or Mark Boriek at njfw as they update the anadromous plan to comply with the federalies.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's going to be tough and expensive this year, with a limit of 10 Herring, its going to take a trip every day to put a decent amount of baits in the Pen for the spring Bass run.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Riddle me this about the possible closure next year. The closure will be state wide, marine and fresh with none of this 10/35 limit depending on whether you fish fresh or salt for them???

I have to assume that freezer packing some herring this spring for chunking and strip baits next spring (when you cant catch them) is out of the question - illegal to harvest = illegal to possess???

Another dumb question - hickory shad do not fall under the herring regulations, correct?

RyanF

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Yes, if the ban goes into effect next year it will be state wide fresh and salt .

As far as stripped baites goes i'd have to look into it further, but i'd bet at this point there is no answer to that question .

No, as far as i know sea herring are not included in the ban. If that remains true then that is the answer to your strip bait issue.

Now will someone please buy my dip net . It's taking up to much room in my garage

I'm sure it's worth it for someone local, but for me to travel for 10 baits is ludicrus.

I can get them up here on sabikkis easily enough

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh no!!!!

Don't tell me after all the work I put into making my killer dip net I have to sell it,DARN. I don't like NOAA:mad: or any Goverment for that matter:D. I'm moving to my own Island so I can make my own rules:razz:

I need to go fishing BAD:(. Is everyone snapping at there better half or is it just me:confused:. I'm about to explode.

And know there going to take away Herring fishing/netting.

I've seen enough George in Fl. caughting fish that I will never be able to fish for, because they will close the season by the time I retire D#@$$%#^% & move down there.

I now do understand the true meaning of GOING POSTAL:eek::eek:.

OK, I'm done, WOW I feel better now. Thanks guys for listening.

Haig-CA:wave:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.