BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Does anyone know how it went ? there was no media coverage of it in any papers,or on TV, I hope this action from the fishing community does not fall on deaf ears.
There was print media coverage in the newspapers, and by some reporters who were there to put stories together for future magazine issues. I was a little bummed that there wasn't even 1 TV crew there for coverage, though the Florida news stations and one in PA may have short news clips of anglers getting on the buses.

Go to the thread B-faithful pointed to you for a decent discussion on the topic.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was fortunate to make the trip and believe there was a great showing of the overall fishing community.There were fisher folks from every east coast state,the gulf of Mexico.and the Pacific coast.Was impressed with the amount of senators ad congress men and woman who came out to speak to the crowd.I'm sure someone else will have an accurate list of names.Hopefully this will get some major attention and things will start to change orat least start to listen.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Made for a really long day but I felt like I was able to participate in something special.And got a chance to meet and see a few more Barners.
I believe Kein(Rageboat) took over 200 pictures and will pot some whe he gets a chance.

Don

·
Registered
560 Posts
Al, I Just did a google search on "Fisherman Rally in DC" and this is what came back

Google found 217,000 results. Some are duplicative and some Barn posts obviously included in the results. I'm sure that with some different search terms you could find even more results. There seems to be a good number of broadcast affiliates (NBC and ABC.)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
March on Wash.

Thanks guys, I personaly could not make it to the rally,due to a foot operation that has me layed up for a while. I just finished reading everything about it,and notice the lack of participation from the fishing industry i.e. reel & rod makers,boat makers,and sporting goods companies such as, Cabela's,Bass pro, Dicks etc.,etc. what's wrong with these guys,don't they get, or are they just interested in selling sports clothing. :huh:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The March turned out to be one that i will never forget. Seeing all the fisherman...and woman, from alaska to panama city was awesome. I think what we did will make an impact on the NMFS. I think all of us together really showed the congressman how much we all care about our Sport and livelyhoods. Thanks to everyone that came down to DC to show their support:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Left KITTY HAWK ,,NC at 5:30 AM and returned at 11:00 PM--

Almost as long as a day fo fishing:rolleyes:

It was a GREAT EVENT

I'm PROUD to say that I was there,as was my Son and Grandson:)

Just wish anoyher 3000 would have come.;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you think we made an impression on NMFS you are sadly mistaken. The new AA of NMFS, Eric Schwabb, was in the audience mostly behind the stage holding court with the media. They quickly put out a press release in strong support of maintaining rebuilding deadlines and saying basically a few more years of sacrifice and it will be all better again.

You heard Ray Bogan talk about the three lies from NMFS. Well that was lie number two!

The reason for the rally was to support the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act, which is the law NMFS has to follow. If we do not succeed in changing the law, it will be business as usual for the agency and its bureaucrats! Now get busy writing and emailing every congressman and senator you can think of to support HR1584 (House of Representatives) and S 1255 (Senate).

Thanks to everyone who came, gave their good wishes if they couldn't, how have written or called their representatives. If you are not already an RFA member, join today. If you can afford it donate to the organization so it can continue to do work like you saw in DC yesterday. That was a monumental undertaking. It included two days of lobbying over 100 congressmen leading up to the rally and it will require many weeks of additional lobbying work to push it through. It all costs money and RFA does not get fat checks from the Pew Foundation like the enviros who are fighting this legislation tooth and nail.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was 100% behind the organizers, they would not let Eric Schwabb speak. Let him get his own marchers.
If any news org. were looking for a bad story to print, they were disappointed, everyone took this march seriously.
I was impressed by the folks, I hope we do it again until we get action.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i was there good showing but we need more people that spot should have bin filled no room but it was still a good start:) the only thing i did not like was the guy who seid he was fishing the ez and got hasseld he should not be there so i am glad he got stoped
same thing here. that guys was bad mouthing the coast guard for checking him in the ez. i am glad they cut him short. all the other speakers all made good points.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I boarded a charter bus at South Jersey Marina at 7:00 am along with 50 plus others. (Commercial, Charter, recreation and others in the marine industry field.) We were very fortunate. Steve Spagnola of Sea Tow in Cape May a Barn sponsor took it on his own to organized a charter bus for the rally in Washington. Not only did he get a bus but he solicited support from local marinas, organizations, associations, a rival fishing web-site and businesses that are directly effected by unfair fisheries laws.

Can't mention the names all these groups that stepped up to the occasion and kicked in money for the trip as they are not all sponsors on the barn, but they came through big time, paying for the bus, lunch, an after the trip get together, making the trip free for all those that made the effort to go to the rally.

My personal thought on the rally. Even though I disagree with the RFA on the New Jersey Saltwater Fishing License issue and think they should support the efforts to get proper funding for NJ through a license, I gave them my full support on the rally. They were dead right and did an excellent job on organizing and running the rally in Washington.:thumbsup: Ray Bogan did an excellent job of running the show and maintaining a good flow.:thumbsup:

For a first time rally there was and excellent turn out. There were representatives from Florida to Maine, the west coast and even Alaska.
Don't think it was possible to count the numbers but it was in the thousands all of which had a positive impact.

The list of government officials that spoke at the rally was long as they present in Washington for various votes and were grabbed for the rally during their break periods. Every coastal state concerned about the fishing industry made an effort to speak at the rally. Our Senator LoBiondo and well know Senator Dodd were among the many.

Most prevalent at the rally were those most adversely effected and who have been or will be most economically harmed. I realize that most recreational fishermen fish as a hobby and are not as severely effected but considering the large numbers of recreational fishermen, there should have been a lot more in attendance. Maybe next time.

Overall, it was very worth attending. For all those that missed it, you were well represented by those who did and everyone came away feeling good about taking the day off to attend. Now it is just a matter of educating our fellow fishermen and government officials that we mean business and that we are not going to settle for being unfairly treated.

Here are just a few pictures from the rally.

For all those that made it a success.

Job Well Done.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
My personal thought on the rally. Even though I disagree with the RFA on the New Jersey Saltwater Fishing License issue and think they should support the efforts to get proper funding for NJ through a license, I gave them my full support on the rally. They were dead right and did an excellent job on organizing and running the rally in Washington.:thumbsup: Ray Bogan did an excellent job of running the show and maintaining a good flow.
Thanks for the vote of support, appreciate it!

PS - The RFA does support proper funding for the Bureau of Marine Fisheries. There's no compelling evidence from any other state that license money alone would get the job done. But there's plenty of other posts and time for that discussion! :wave: We'll keep this one on topic, thanks again!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.