BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try the back waters today for flounder and tog.

I stayed away from most of the popular areas.

We brought home 2 20" flounders and a nice blue.

Caught another 7 shorts, 3 were just a 1/4" shy. :(

We would have had more time to fish, but the State Police stopped us just before 7am, he said it wasn't daylight yet and recommended we turn on the running lights. He went through our gear and sent us on our way.

Early afternoon, we got boarded by the coasties. They went through our gear and sent us on our way.

Back at the dock, we were getting in the truck to leave and the Game Warden pulled up. He asked if we caught anything and I told him the report. He asked to look in the cooler and I told him "NO" :D

He had a heck of an expression on his face and I bust out laughing. He glanced in the cooler and saw the fish were more than legal and chuckled that he should tear the boat apart looking for other fish. You should have seen the look on my face :eek: :eek: He let out a big laugh and wished us well.

Green bucktail tipped with mackeral or fresh herring seemed to be the most popular bait, but one of the 20" flounders also hit a new penny shrimp gulp (Thanks Bucktail Willie)

Saw Bucktail Willie out there, he a had a few boats near him, so I kept on going.

At low slack tide, we decided to hit the bridges for tog instead of clamming. wrong choice. Not even a nibble.

It was nice to be on the water for a change.

Lots of boats, but did not see much action today.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Jaybird- nice report there buddy. Good story too! You were a law enforcement magnet today. Guess it pays to walk the line, huh?

Great job on a super weather day.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Its Esox1, I am on sanibel's computer. We went out front of sea isle today and brought back the tog, all caught on green crab and clam. Then we fished the fleet of boats in the backbay but only managed 1 short fluke, it is tuff to fish a 26 foot triton in a pack of boats.

Going to head a little south sunday, maybe have better luck.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Jason, that is exactly one of the reasons why I do garden & yard work on the weekends, and fish during the weekdays....God Bless America

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yeah, we got boarded by the cg today. Well, not boarded, just pulled along the side. No issues.

I asked them if "drunks" were in season,so they can bag a few.

-esox1

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Everyone was boarded today. The store was busy after 12:00 with everyone getting there new items they with fined for. I landed a nice flounder at the supermarket today for just over $6.00 a pound. Some day I will have the time to get out there.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by barnaclebillsmarine:
Everyone was boarded today. The store was busy after 12:00 with everyone getting there new items they with fined for. I landed a nice flounder at the supermarket today for just over $6.00 a pound. Some day I will have the time to get out there.
They didn't discriminate, they started with the boat closest to them and kept going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts