BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a boat mechanic in wilmington de. I called a few places and it's about a 10 day wait before anyone can look at it.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
what do you need done?? if its your fuel leak?? let me know i might be able to help, im not a mechanic but i am mechanically inclined. i did mine myself.

·
Banned
303 Posts
just tap on the bowl the float will drop right into place this happens sometime over the winter when the bowl drains out from siting,what kind of carb is it/engine also might be time for a rebuild

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can't find a name on the carb. where should I tap to try and loosen the float if it's just stuck. I got a price of 250 to rebuild the carb. Is that resonable? thanks

·
Banned
303 Posts
u need to tap where the bowl is on the bottom of the carb,just tap lightly around the whole carb it will drop right into position,250 to rebulid yours is high the kit will cost no more than 25 bucks

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think $250 is high, especially since its unlikely that only (1) Carb has gunk or debris in it. More likely than not the other carbs probably have some junk floating in the bowls. Even if you are not mechanically inclined, rebuilding a carbuerator is'nt really that difficult. My first suggestion would be to purchase the factory repair manual for your motor. All you will need is a couple of cans of Carb Cleaner, compressed air and new rebuild kits. The hardest part of the job is the link and sync after you get everything back together.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I should mention, if you don't want to rebuild the carbs you may be able to drain the bowls. I'm not sure on a Mercury but on my Johnson 150 and all the other OMC motors I have seen there is always a screw at the bottom of the bowl. Take the screw out tilt up the motor drain the fuel out shoot some carb cleaner in the screw hole let it run back out and put the screw back in. Its not the right way to do the job but it may solve your probllem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i would never spray carb cleaner into your bowl drain...especially on an older carb. No matter what your float is actually made of (plastic/foam/cork), the carb cleaner WILL deteriorate the finish on the float and the float will absorb fuel and no longer "float"...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts