BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always reading about fuel line degradation. I am not understanding why boat fuel lines degrade so fast. When I put the same fuel in my truck and cars as I do in my boat why is it that I dont have problems with my vehicle fuel lines degrading yet on the boat it is an issue? If it is sun and salt exposure than is it ok to use auto grade below the deck and marine grade above the deck? The guy at west marine told me their fuel line was not very good. :confused: Then why the heck are they selling it?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
toons..youhave a lot more fuel line in your boat than a car...which is mostly hard piped from the tank to the carburetor or fuel injection system..plus the cars have been built with alcohol resistant hose and fittings fro quite some time...

·
Registered
390 Posts
As long as Pep Boys sells USCG approved Type B1/B2 hose for the connection from the tank to the fuel pump. Rubber hose from the fuel pump to the Carb/FI system must be USCG approved Type A1/A2, because it it made to handle more pressure. These hoses are rated for ethanol resistance and meet new permeability standards. Anything less and you are literally playing with fire.

It is ILLEGAL to use and totally unsafe to use any old fuel hose from the auto store in your boat. If there was an accident and your insurance company were to find substandard fuel hose in your boat, they may not pay the claim. Of course, that's assuming that you and all aboard didn't die from explosion or fire.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do not under any circumstances use automotive fuel hose in your boat. If it dose not say USCG approved on it then it is not approved for use on boats. Refer to other post for good reasons why USCG approval is a must. If you are really concerned about your fuel lines you can use copper tubing( this was what was original in my Hatteras) or blue steel braided fuel hose with SAE connections( more common in expensive Diesel boats however this is what I used when I repowered my boat) Both options are very expensive!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
toons..pat attention to what these guys are saying..marine fuel house is probably 2x as thick as automotive hose as it us usually used in enclosed places..DONT go cheap with your safety and that of your family and friends..use proper hose, double clamp everything etc...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've been running factory BRP rubber fuel line, on reg pump gas, since 09 and it still looks like new inside and out. The PO of my new boat ran reg old auto parts store hose. I don't know how old it is but it looks like its 20 years old. The gray stuff is crap as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts