BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 26 and in need of a career not just a job. I am very mechanicaly inclined and love working on boats. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any schools in this area at all. I've looked a little and all I seam to be able to find is a course on outboards and that's it... I'm looking for a full progam not just a course. I am looking for something where I could become a merc, evenrude, volvo penta etc. tech. Any help would be greatly apperated, thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Back in the day, Pennco Tech in Blackwood offered the course and that's where I took the Marine Diesel program in 97-98. They have since stopped the Marine program there so I believe the only school offering that kind of program is down in Florida. If you want to stay local, try apprenticing at a marina down the shore to get your foot in the door and they may send you to a certified Merc/Yamaha/Evinrude Tech school.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Or join the army reserves. They offer all aspects of mechanic training. Diesal is where the money is at and a secure job anywhere you choose to live.

·
Registered
248 Posts
go to www.am-tech.org and look at the organization and the training they offer for marine technicians. Contact them for more information. They are not a school but an organization for marine technicians and they offer training classes. There are also representatives of various tech schools specializing in boat and motor repair on the board of directors.

Too bad you just missed the annual National Marine Service Expo held in mid-January. It has seminars and training classes along with meeting pros in the industry.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys I will be looking farther into the ocean co. Votech course. Diesel was my primary intrest since I was younger, I went to votech for diesel in higschool. I just can not leave to florda for a year or two because I will have a son here in may.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Automotive Training Center in Warminster, PA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts