BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

SpadeFish

Noel "Kit" Lohr of Pewaukee Wisconsin set a new state record for spadefish on last Thursday with an 11 lb 6 ½ oz fish. This is the third time this record has been broken this year, but being that this time it's by over 2 lbs, this one might stand for a while.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Spadefish??? :confused:

I have never heard of these fish before. They kind of look similar to Triple Tail, but lighter in color.

Are they a tropical fish?

Are they ever caught in NJ waters?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey Guys,
We catch them at the Maul every year when the water is warm. Some say they are excellent to eat...but I have cooked a few and don't know if I agree. Get'em Wet! Pig

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Caught many of these down in Galveston Bay and in the Gulf. That is a biggun for sure.

As for how they taste, noone down their that I know of will eat one.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
jack,

Clam suspended under a bobber is the short answer.(about 4 or 5 feet) But sometimes they are feeding deeper and away from the boat, which necessitates hanging a snap on your swivel, and attaching a small 1/4 or 1/2 oz sinker to get to the feeding zome. They are tremendous fighters. I imagine the fellow pictured above had his hands full. My two biggest I have hooked broke the leaders. I'd like to know where he caught that. I'd venture a guess and say he departed a MD port and fished in VA.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey Guys,

We target them just off of Tangier Is. We fish clam strips suspended or split shot. They school up down there and it is amazing to see them dart throught the water feeding. Most are of citation size and a blast on spinning rods! Heading down to Smith Point for my first fall striper run. Get'em Wet! Pig

·
Registered
294 Posts
Article in SWS last year covered Spadefishing. Chunked small bits of clam and used light tackle (like kingfishing light). They liked structure just like any other types of fish. The article was about fishing the rock pilings of the Chesapeake bay tunnel-bridge. Anyone else read it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts