BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a VHF equipped with DSC make sure you register for a MMSI and input the number into your VHF. You can register for free on the www.boatus.com

You also want to be sure to interface your DSC with your GPS or Loran to give a position of your vessel.

DSC VHF radios WILL:
  • Have a One-Button Emergency Transmit capability that sends out the vessel's unique MMSI number and, if properly connected to a GPS or Loran, the vessel's latitude/longitude position.

• Continue sending the distress signal even if the captain is incapacitated.

• Allow for a non-experienced VHF user to send, with the pressing of one button, a goof-proof continuous distress message.

• Privately hail another DSC equipped vessel, or shore station, with a known MMSI number. Like having a "VHF phone number" this avoids having to monitor high traffic channels just for a hail from your boating buddy. It even "rings" your radio, similar to a telephone, notifying you that you have a call and then switches you automatically to the channel your caller is waiting on.

• If properly connected to a Loran or GPS, a "Polling" feature transmits your vessel's position, in digital display, that can be monitored by DSC equipped home station/fleet station or boat.

• Fully function as all other regular VHF radios.
~ Works in conjunction with USCG Rescue 21, which is now operational down to Delaware Bay as of 9/07.

~Takes approx. 1/3 of a second to transmit a mayday

~Transmission via channel 70

~DSC- digital selective calling

~MMSI- Marine Mobile Service Identity

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am glad you posted this thread. I have both a vhf and gps capable of DSC but when I hooked up the wires I never got any coordinates come up in the vhf. I have a garmin gps 476 and a Icom m422 vhf. Anybody help me out with this??? Would love to have this feature.

Thanks
Killerbee

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Does that have to be done first before hooking up??

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks on the beach. I will continue to monitor and possibly contact you again later on this week. This is one thing i plan on doing when I bring the boat out of storage to get ready for the season. I bring her home this weekend and will most definately will be trying to figure this out. Id rather save questions untill I have the boat in my drive way.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Capt. Maria -

Is there any legal way to test the distress call ? I have mine connected, all seems right and I can make DSC calls. But how can I tell if the mayday function is working and actually transmits my GPS coordinates in an emergency ?

Thanks -

Bill

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill Holzworth said:
Capt. Maria -

Is there any legal way to test the distress call ? I have mine connected, all seems right and I can make DSC calls. But how can I tell if the mayday function is working and actually transmits my GPS coordinates in an emergency ?

Thanks -

Bill
Testing on the exclusive DSC distress and safety calling frequency 2 187.5 kHz should be avoided as far as possible by using other methods.
No test transmission should be made on VHF DSC calling channel 70.
Test calls should be transmitted by the ship station and acknowledged by the called coast station. Normally there would be no further communication between the two stations involved.
A test call to a coast station is transmitted as follows:
  1. tune the transmitter to the DSC distress and safety calling frequency 2187.5 kHz,
  2. key in or select the format for the test call on the DSC equipment in accordance with the DSC equipment manufacturer's instructions,
  3. key in the 9-digit identity of the coast station to be called,
  4. transmit the DSC call after checking as far as possible that no calls are in progress on the frequency,
  5. wait for acknowledgment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
killerbee said:
I am glad you posted this thread. I have both a vhf and gps capable of DSC but when I hooked up the wires I never got any coordinates come up in the vhf. I have a garmin gps 476 and a Icom m422 vhf. Anybody help me out with this??? Would love to have this feature.

Thanks
Killerbee
the garmin units default to their own interface protocol. go into your menu options i believe it is the interface menu and change it to NEMA. you should start sending your coordinates to the VHF if you hook the data lines correctly. hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks Redfish. Will do.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Killerbee,

Also, to display the gps position, you need to press the dsc/pos button for 1 second. Check out the manual, page 15. It should display lat/lon, even before you put in any codes.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
If you need help connecting/interfacing your GPS to your radio...here's some help...

http://www.seasmartvhf.com/guides/installguide.html

You can also register for free and get your MMSI for your radio there...

And read up on Sea Smart for decent Ship to Shore telephone coverage...well beyond cel phone range....and the price isn't outrageous if you need to use the phone a lot even while boating (yuck)....

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
OK, got the boat in the drive way and trying to connect the wires. Does anybody know how these wires get spliced. The NMEA red and white wires coming out of the vhf have what likes like to be a shield on top of the red and white wires. As the gps only has wired that of a phone wire style.

So I guess my question is about the shield wire on the vhf??????? any body know what to do with about that??????

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Anybody????

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Killerbee,

Garmin gps.......................................Icom IC-M22

nmea out, (blue) --------------------- nmea in, (red)
nmea in, (brown) --------------------- nmea out, (white)
shield ---------------------------------ground, (black)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts