BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are interested in attending, the ACOE has agreed to meet with Cape May & Cape May Point fishermen to discuss the possibilities of improving the CM/CMP fishery after a beach replenishment.

The ACOE has been asked to participate and provide the historical & technical perspectives involving beach replenishment projects of Cape May & Cape May Point.

Here's your chance to talk to the engineers and other fishermen.

Bring your fishing stories, pictures and ideas.

Seating is limited. If you plan on attending, send an email by clicking on the screen name to reserve a seat.

Cape May Point State Park
State Park Classroom
Wednesday, February 15th
1030 AM

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Wish I could make it. Thanks for doing this, good luck and keep up filled in.

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
for the guys that have the time and can make it, this could be a chance to get something done that could really help improve the fishing on all the beaches in that area. I know I will be there and if we can get enough people to show up maybe we can get something positive done.:thumbsup::)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
So if the next round of beach replenishment is gonna happen what would we (land based fisherman) want to see happen to improve the fishing? Extension of the old jetties? Out beyond the replenishment zone?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rapid Recovery of Ecosystem after Beach Replenishment

Considering the fundamentals of a marine ecosystem, the best chance of improving the fishery in the affected areas is to promote the rapid recovery of the plant and marine life that are essential to support the larger fish.

Changes in structure, such as an extension of a jetty or the creation of small reefs, would be helpful in providing favorable habitat for all kinds of small marine creatures.

I can't speak for the engineers. Hopefully, at the meeting their understanding and cooperation will be gained in the effort to improve the fishery.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Here is an interesting article on the history of the CM beach replenishment: http://www.capemay.com/Editorial/january09/beach-replenishment.html

My question in regards to the glory days: are the glory days

A: over a hundred years ago, prior to man made modifications
B: prior to 1903 when the harbor was dredged out
C: prior to 1911 when the Cold Spring Jetties were constructed
D: prior to WWII when the canal was carved out
E: prior to 1991 when beach replenishment started

That island has been being carved apart since well before our current "old timers" began fishing it. In fact, it looks like some of the ACOE mistake's actually made the area even more fishy..

No living person knows the true glory days of natural Cape May. We only know which state it was in while we fished it. And if it was following WWII, it may have had the best structure it ever had, but it wasn't natural...

I would think that the ACOE should be asked for their environmental impact assessments, which surely had to be completed before replenishment started. There is probably zero mention of migrating striped bass or other marine life, and maybe it should be pushed that they complete an impact analysis on how their beach replenishment projects impact the surrounding ecosystems.

CaptainHook - your rapid recovery plan sounds good and all, but I just have no idea where you are pulling this from. Instead of thinking we are all marine biologists, maybe we should ask that the ACOE enlist a marine biologist to determine long and short term impacts of their activities.

Right now, the determining factor for replenishment projects is the revenue the beaches create. In my opinion, we cannot fight that animal. We can only fight to have ecological impacts considered prior to, during, and after replenishment projects.....

There is a lot to be thought out before you ask the ACOE engineers to take action on anything. You don't want to blow a good opportunity......

RyanF

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
this can be a good thing! would like to have some voices there to voice an opinion as to what can be done to improve conditions and as how the fishing has been effected by all the beach replenishment if anyone is interested get in touch with Captain Hook via his email thru the barn the meeting ACOE is going to be Feb 15th at CMP State Park at 10:30 AM. It can't hurt to have fishermans voices heard:thumbsup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is the concern for the fishermen? I know there is an impact but in all honesty how much? I have only fished months after the beach has been replenished. I have never noticed that the fish were impacted. Are we talking about the little critters like sand fleas and worms? Don’t they just move into these areas from adjacent beaches?

Personally I’d rather see them place riprap and rock along the whole coats and I bet that would have one hell of an impact.

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is the concern for the fishermen? I know there is an impact but in all honesty how much? I have only fished months after the beach has been replenished. I have never noticed that the fish were impacted. Are we talking about the little critters like sand fleas and worms? Don’t they just move into these areas from adjacent beaches?

Personally I’d rather see them place riprap and rock along the whole coats and I bet that would have one hell of an impact.
all the little crabs, mussels and worms have a place on the food chain without the little guys to feed on you won't get the big guys.
you can make your voice heard if you think riprap and rocks would help the fish and beaches come to the meeting and tell them. I would and I am

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reminder: Meeting with ACOE

Please don't forget to register.... Click on the screen name "CaptainHook"
to send an email registration. I'll need to know how much coffee to brew.

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
the meeting is this Wed I am going hope to see you there?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last Call. Some Good Seats Still Available

Reserve your seat by clicking on the screen name......

Bring your fishing stories, personal observations, ideas and photos.

Looking forward to a great meeting. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Please post an update after the sit down, and much thanks to all of you who took the time to attend. Wish I could been there.

RyanF

·
Banned users
4,215 Posts
very nice meeting.
as usual there was a very small turnout of fishermen/women :(
nice informative slide show and question and answer period after.
the guys who showed up were knowledgeable and gave a good representation of themselves.
i'm thinking maybe capt hook will give a rundown of meeting.
he went throuugh a lot to get this meeting set-up and instead of a packed room there were almost as many speakers as there was audience.
ryan,your views were presented.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.