BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my Mom down to Florida for 3 months in Jan. I will stay for a week. I would like to do some fishin when down there. Does anyone know where do some fishing?????
AFO

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Can't help with Melbourne area but to the North around Merritt Island, Titusville, & Canaveral area I can. Will you be land bound, access to a boat or want a guide? Ron moderator Fly Forum

[ 11-14-2004, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Land my friend. I am looking for bay area )thats if I am near the bay) never been there---never been in Florida!!!
AFO

·
Registered
376 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stop at a local bait shop and buy a Hot Spots map(for the area you are in). They are pretty detailed and should get you on the meat. I took a week vacation down here before I committed to make the move. In that one week I caught trout to 7lbs, a bunch of snook, sheepshead, and grouper. All this was done while wading the flats. The spots on the map are good starting points and since you will only be here a week. I have confidence you will find the fish good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does your Mom have her place to stay confirmed?
The reason I ask is because my parents go to the Indialantic/Melbourne area every year. The place where they usually rent was hit pretty hard during the hurricane season and is closed for the winter for repairs. Emails from some of their friends indicate that there is a bit of price gouging going on for the remaining available accomodations. They are considering another state this year, possibly New mexico or Arizona. So, if your mom doesn't own, or have a place confirmed yet, you might not want to wait too long expecting the usual places to be available. As far as the fishing report, my dad is not an avid fisherman, but he says that he often sees fish caught off the beach in the mornings. Also there is a jetty at Sebastian Inlet in Melbourne.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Hey Grey, my uncle lives in Merritt Island and I plan on making a trip down in the spring when my son is off from school during springbreak. What type of fish should we target in the spring? I will have the availabilty of a boat and will do much fishing from land. Any "spots" would be appreciated, if no one carries about the spot thing since it's in Florida.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Port Canaveral Park. Exit off of 95

Take a drive to Sebastian Park as well

Both are available to fish at night

Snook and reds. BIG tarpon right now. Sabiki rig with a sliver of shrimp. Catch som Pinfish, throw them on a egg sinker/slide with a number 6. Don't put your pole down unless it's in baitrunner mode!!! It's a different ballgame down here

You will need at least 4 ounces in Sebastian, tides runs QUICK, and changes on a dime

BTW: I have carried a gun all my life bridge fishing at night. ONCE in about 14 years did I think about it up North. Already have twice down here. So be careful, we got our nutjobs down here. You go into a park bathroom to take a piss and next thing you know there's a guy there thinking your responding to a bathroom wall offer...Yuck

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Sebastian is a preemo fishing spot there on the east coast of Fla. you have a chance of hooking into a monster shark there. big bulls. the indian river is right there also which i imagine had reds, puppies, and silvers in it untill the storms. things are still bad there bro. From the beach you can catch pompano, and sheepshead...get yourself some sand fleas they work great for those two. like the Doc said though melborne beach is full of some wack jobs. good luck and let us know how you made out. i'm heading back there in the spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts