BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My merc 3.0 has developed the infoamous timing cover oil leak and a brand new replacement timing cover is $200 and up. Therefore I am looking for a used timing cover off a Merc 3.0 140hp (or Volvo 3.0). Anybody happen to have an old unusable Merc engine lying around that still has the timing cover intact? All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i would also replace engine circ pump this is usually cause of timing cover going bad there is a weep hole on bottom of pump when seals go bad it drips on cover and rots it out.also when reinstalling cover spray with rubberized undercoating this will prevent from happening again..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My merc 3.0 has developed the infoamous timing cover oil leak and a brand new replacement timing cover is $200 and up. Therefore I am looking for a used timing cover off a Merc 3.0 140hp (or Volvo 3.0). Anybody happen to have an old unusable Merc engine lying around that still has the timing cover intact? All help is appreciated.
Mudcat, are you the guy who was having Mercarb issues? I rebuilt both of mine and when I had them apart, I ported the bases for PCV valves I'm installing in the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RJ Marine

Yes 59341A1 is the correct number. $145 for cover and seal is not that too bad. I still would like to search around a bit to see if I can find one used (i.e. cheaper) but I probably will come back to you. Do you have a price on the waterpump and gasket? Also do you think it is feasible to replace the timing cover without pulling the motor?

Fin-ally
Yes that was me with the carb issue. Turned out that I had an air leak between the carb and the manifold. I had to file the manifold in order to smooth it out. Runs perfect now...just have an oil leak from the timing cover rusting out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
about 80.00 for pump and gasket.about replaceing with out pulling motor if you can reach under motor and take out oil pan bolts leaving the last ones in maybe but you cant tell if there is going to be a leak.I beleive the gasket for oil pan and cover has little nubs to insert in cover i have seen it done but i wouldnt do it and have to stand behind my work.A 3.0 litre is not very hard to remove would not take long at all.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

leave a text message to 1609-774-9085 as to what you need
less than 20 minuets from you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.