BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Immediate help requested!
Started the boat about 10 mins ago and jumped to the back to make sure the exhaust was spitting good water. There was more water coming out of the drain plug, I said uh oh, major leak somewhere in engine compartment. I hoped it was a loose water hose since I just did the water pump, but it wasn't :(
I was a freeze out plug completely rotted through.
I hope I can put a new one in maybe all of them with the motor in place??????
Its a 97 searay sundancer with 7.4 ltr BB, kinda tight in there, but I can see the sides of block.

Any help/guidance appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
You can get to two on each side easily. There is one under each motor mount bracket which you will have to remove the mounts to replace. There is also two in front of the flywheel, engine must come out to replace. They shouldn't rot out unless it was a car engine and no one changed them to brass. If it pushed out you might have other problems.

·
Registered
16,248 Posts
FYI in a pinch they do make a rubber freeze out plug you just push it in and tighten a 7/16 nut to get the rubber to expand but you have to know what diameter it is . Wouldn't hurt to have them on board for those emergency situations they are really only for a temp fix but I have seen them last for years.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/6482/10002/-1

Yea they shouldnt rot out, there supposed to be brass. You should be able to get them at any parts store. Big block chevy. Make sure you get ALL of the old one out, run a lil sandpaper around the hole. Rtv black on the outer edge of the new plug, and use a socket that just fits into the plug. Flange of plug facing out. The hole in the block is countersunk, seat the new plugs just to the bottom of the countersink. Might as well do everyone you can get to. If that one went, the others arent far behind.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right, it didn't rot out, it popped out on it own. I thought the sediment and crud in the block was the remnants of the the plug but it was just years of crap, it was hard to see down there. I flushed as much as I could out of the block, man thats a lot of crap. I got a new plug from local auto store 1 & 5/8. i custom made a driver for it, since I didn't have a socket that big and used a stubby hammer to slowly and methodically drive it in. Connected the muffs and started her up for 30 mins and everything seems good to go, no leaks or cracked block!!!.
I think the sediment behind that plug prevented anti freeze from getting there and it froze over the winter and popped out plug, just like they're suppose to.
The only issue i have is that the custom driver I made got stuck in the freeze plug and there its gonna stay.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
You are right, it didn't rot out, it popped out on it own. I thought the sediment and crud in the block was the remnants of the the plug but it was just years of crap, it was hard to see down there. I flushed as much as I could out of the block, man thats a lot of crap. I got a new plug from local auto store 1 & 5/8. i custom made a driver for it, since I didn't have a socket that big and used a stubby hammer to slowly and methodically drive it in. Connected the muffs and started her up for 30 mins and everything seems good to go, no leaks or cracked block!!!.
I think the sediment behind that plug prevented anti freeze from getting there and it froze over the winter and popped out plug, just like they're suppose to.
The only issue i have is that the custom driver I made got stuck in the freeze plug and there its gonna stay.
it will pop out eventually :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.