BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1997 mercuiser 350 mag mpi w/ a brovo iii outdrive i have to remove it to replace a leaky fuel tank i have just about everything disconnected and i am ready to pull it but i can't get the rear engine mounting bolts to budge is there a trick to get them out i don't want to break them off they are the two bolts that go thru the bell housing the bolt i am talking about is the one with the rusty head

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Those bolts are pretty tough. I have never broken one off but anything can happen. Try shocking them with a hammer. I don't know if you have the room for a impact gun but it will get them. Soak them good with a good penetrating oil and move it back and forth when you get it to move. There is no real safe way to put heat on it so that's out.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Big breaker bar maybe. The problem is they go through a rubber mount and they freeze to the sleeve inside of the mount, when you try to turn the bolt the mount wants to turn also. I've had them do this several times and there's no real easy way sometimes. Usually there is very little access to the rear mount bolts so it's hard to cut them. We have used heat but like Mike said it's not safe so I wouldn't recommend that. If you have access sometimes you can cut the head off of the bolt and drill holes in the rubber, then when you lift on the engine the rubber will rip away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got them out penetrating oil. impact and a 3' cheater pipe on a breaker bar i got them out penetrating oil. impact and a 3' cheater pipe on a breaker bar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts