BASS BARN banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gang!
Looking for help. Looks like my wiring is f!#$%p. I have oldie twins 92's. The electric system was acting weird showing overcharging. I was able to trace it down. The red wires, that goes from batt. solenoid on powerhead to ignition (keys) are crossed- have short. I looked into manual, and it shows same red wire going to the trim also. On my trim control I have to sep. controls for both motors(again, it's twins with sep. quicksilver control), but when I opened cover there was only 1 red going to the handle (trim switches), but I have 2 greens and 2 purple wires at the same controll. Is this a problem? Also, when I take one battery off, I'm still able to use everything (even trim for another motor), expt cranking motor- not enough of amps, but the startor turns.... Should there be some kind of diod to prevent cross and backfeed?
Thanx!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am not sure I completely understand your explanation,but you may not have a short. If you have one motor disconnected from one of the two battery's, it would not be uncommon to have a voltage source that may be shared some where at the dash which will usually show voltage when tested but not carry any amperage due to the size of the wire.(This would explain why your starter is spinning very slow and not engaging)) This often happens when boats are wired using common ground and sharing like voltage sources behind the dash. This issue shows up a lot also when customers have dual battery systems that are disconnected in the winter and when they are reconnected in the spring they inadvertently dropped or left off a ground or jumper lead to one of the battery's connections. Hope this makes some sense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts