BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put the new to me boat in the water. One of my mercury smartcraft gauges throws the code Fuel low level, and Oil Low level. I know there is fuel and oil in the boat I just topped them off. The boat has not been in the water for two years. Looking for advise in where to start, or how to rest the codes to see if they pop up again.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Do you have the SC tied into the fuel tank level sender and the remote oil tank level sender? If so what does it say the levels are for each? On mine I see a digital reading with a bar gauge below it, if it gets below a certain level I get these alerts on the SC.

The connections to the level senders might have come loose or gone bad, or if you do not have them connected then somehow you programmed the gauges to read the tank and fuel levels

OK, I just re-read your post, the boat s new to you, maybe the old owner disconnected and removed the fuel level sender and replaced with one something else and maybe he took out the remote oil tank that had the level sender in it and put in one that does not. You should check to make sure you have the senders on the boat, I get these alerts when they are disconnected as well.

Just put the new to me boat in the water. One of my mercury smartcraft gauges throws the code Fuel low level, and Oil Low level. I know there is fuel and oil in the boat I just topped them off. The boat has not been in the water for two years. Looking for advise in where to start, or how to rest the codes to see if they pop up again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
as far as a low oil reading you most likely have air in your oil tank(the one on the engine) with the engine running loosen the cap on the oil tank til it fills up with oil then tighten the cap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for the help guys. After some digging around I did not see any wires coming from remote oil tank. I checked the programming on my smartguage for my starboard motor for oil and fuel level and it was programmed not installed, so I set the port to not installed. Now I am chasing another problem I have a draw on one of the motors. Was told only thing he thinks it could be is the alternator, to unplug it and see if that does it. Also wondering what a good water psi is for these motores I have one guage that reads 4.0 and idle and the othe read 1.9. Is that to low. The stream appears to be equal to the other.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
If you are drawing power when not doing anything then it could be the alt, the diode in it went bad and is pulling power. How do you know you are drawing power on one of the motors, is the battery dying?

Is the pressure with muffs on or is this in the water?, they should be close to the same, how long since you last change the water pumps on them? Might be time to do so.

This is from the shop manual

Idle 1.5 - 4.5 psi
(10.3 - 31.0 kPa)
Poppet Valve Opening 6 - 7 psi
(41.4 - 48.3 kPa)
W.O.T. 8 - 23* psi
(55.2 - 158.6 kPa)

*NOTE: 23 psi water pressure would only be achieved on high performance
(70+ mph) boats.

Thank for the help guys. After some digging around I did not see any wires coming from remote oil tank. I checked the programming on my smartguage for my starboard motor for oil and fuel level and it was programmed not installed, so I set the port to not installed. Now I am chasing another problem I have a draw on one of the motors. Was told only thing he thinks it could be is the alternator, to unplug it and see if that does it. Also wondering what a good water psi is for these motores I have one guage that reads 4.0 and idle and the othe read 1.9. Is that to low. The stream appears to be equal to the other.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the battery was going dead and the motor is the only thing on that battery. I installed a battery switch to stop the draw for now. As far as PSI I am going to pull the boat and do water pumps, popit valves and water pumps. I just bought the boat it will be a piece of mind for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts