BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished offshore out of Morehead City Saturday into Sunday taking advantage of the great weather window.

We started fishing around 4 on Saturday afternoon and dropped the jigs down first because the ballyhoo hadn't thawed out fully...

Over the course of an hour we picked up about 60 amberjacks, released a grouper and had a couple of triggerfish.

Got up on the troll and had a couple bites, landed a blackfin and then ran 15 miles to the southwest to set up for the night.

Didn't do anything overnight but did drift right back to where we were fishing the afternoon before. Put the lines in and had a few bites around the big rock but didn't come tight. Came tight on the next fish and it ended up being a 50 pound amberjack.

Decided to start jigging again after we released the one on the troll and fished for another 3 hours basically fighting amberjacks the entire time.

Around 11am we moved inshore to try for some sea bass and ended up catching 35-40 keepers out of about 100-110 total.

Made the run home in flat seas and were cleaned up in time for dinner.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Love the "one-hundred-and thirties" sitting in the rocket launcher next to the pee-shooters...classy move! ;)

I still want to see and hear Drew's green Gatlin gun though, as well as a picture of him with his Trigger...post up. The Bass-tard is a professional Triggerfisherman and everyone knows it!

Awesome trip you guys had with tons of action and calm seas...doesn't get much better than that. Pretty work

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian,

BASS-tard is in one of the pics but he's using a stella on one the Spinal Rods we were trying out.

The Spinal rods put my trevalla jigging rods to shame.

I think drew had his st. patty's accurate mounted on one of the trevalla rods and felt it was too soft so he was trying out the stellas and saltigas on the spinals most of the time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It was a great trip!!! The weather was great down there and no snow! I'm still in pain from catching all those aj's, they really kick *** and we were hooking up on every drop. It was also great watching Stu catching sea bass on an 80 wide with 50 oz's of lead. Thanks again for the great trip!

-Jesse

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stew man.... thanks for the great trip bro. It was nice meeting everyone and I am glad you enjoyed using the rods. It makes me proud. I can't wait to fish you guys again. Thanks for the swords lessons and everything else. Your boat rocks dude!!! IT was also nice meeting Drew and Hunter. I'm sure andrew is still hurting cuz he loved those ajs and was getting real good at the jigging.
I'm sending the videos home to Adam so catch up with him. I couldn't stop laughing when he was filming.

Next time I'm seabass'n with a planer rod!!!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Stew man.... thanks for the great trip bro. It was nice meeting everyone and I am glad you enjoyed using the rods. It makes me proud. I can't wait to fish you guys again. Thanks for the swords lessons and everything else. Your boat rocks dude!!! IT was also nice meeting Drew and Hunter. I'm sure andrew is still hurting cuz he loved those ajs and was getting real good at the jigging.
I'm sending the videos home to Adam so catch up with him. I couldn't stop laughing when he was filming.

Next time I'm seabass'n with a planer rod!!!
HA!! you haven't seabassed until you use 130's :razz:

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
The Teak looks a lil' dry though :) :D
Man thats a low blow Stew! I was always under the impression of the quality and quanity of what comes over the teak than its appearance! I guess some peoples priorites are what the teak looks like instead of catching fish! Hmmm Hmmmm i guess Capt Stew has alot to learn! He better get that teak taken care of before he even attempts to land another Bigeye or giant bluefin! What was he thinking,good thing he was only AJ fishing!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Man thats a low blow Stew! I was always under the impression of the quality and quanity of what comes over the teak than its appearance! I guess some peoples priorites are what the teak looks like instead of catching fish! Hmmm Hmmmm i guess Capt Stew has alot to learn! He better get that teak taken care of before he even attempts to land another Bigeye or giant bluefin! What was he thinking,good thing he was only AJ fishing!
Easy Adam! Just poking fun :) We all know Stew puts some impressive catches together :thumbsup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Desite the lack of teak maintenance on the boat, the skippa put us on the meat till we cried for mercy. The crew of 6 were awesome(although Doug and Brian were missed), we had a bunch of sick gear to use at our leisure in the pit on the 56, and the weather was damn near perfect. I would gladly go on the same trip again at the drop of a hat. To all the jiggers out there, you NEED to do yourself a favor and get yourself a Spinal Rod to whip the big girls into shape and you NEED to charter the PEZ MACHINE to get you over top of em! Oh Stew, are you gonna be going over covering board maintenance at your saltwater sportsman seminar this upcoming weekend? :razz:

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Nice catch. We were in the same area earlier on saturday, and, those aj's were thick, along with the groupers. We faced a fast drift, I hope it slowed for you guys a bit. Those triggers out there are monsters, any trigger that eats a butterfly or 6 oz. bucktail is a good trigger. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice catch. We were in the same area earlier on saturday, and, those aj's were thick, along with the groupers. We faced a fast drift, I hope it slowed for you guys a bit. Those triggers out there are monsters, any trigger that eats a butterfly or 6 oz. bucktail is a good trigger. :thumbsup:
I think anything that swims was sitting on that edge waiting to head inshore. I'm sure they are all tired of the cold just like us.

PEZ and crew looking foward to killing some BFT with you guys!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.