BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a long President's day weekend in Miami, went down for the boat show and some fishing. Fished Sunday night from 6pm - 2am for Tarpon, nearly got blown out but had a good charter captain who was willing to put in his best shot. Started out front as the sun was going down with nothing but a blue runner to show for our efforts. Not to be detured we headed for Bal Harbor inlet...wind was working against the tide...so it made for tough fishing....then headed into the back bay and fished dock lights and bridges in the back....caught a couple of nice Snook and mangrove snapper but the tarpon remained elusive. Headed back to the inlet for the end of the tide...could see tarpon that had to be at least 5 ft long hanging out around the lights at the bridge....threw everyting we had at them...no luck with live shrimp....could get them to chase a D.O.A shrimp...even broke out the fly rod (a little out of my expertise but I tried)...could get them to chase it but never bite...actually ended hooking up on two Tarpon...fought one for about a minute..then it spit the hook...the other broke the line as it landed on it on its very first jump...it was as frustrating as it was exciting...The charter capt was awesome...trip supposed to end at 11pm but kept us out until 2am...

oh and the boat show was good too...

if you need a good charter capt down there let me know..this guy works hard.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Did you try governors cut ? Or right outside of it by chance ? They land big fat slobs there all the time. It may have been too windy for the cappy to try there though, you're just sitting out in the open. Just wondering, I lived off the beach for two years and constantly watched guys with the binocs pulling in monsters not even 500 yards off the beach. They even used to hook up with them off the fishing pier. Just curious.

[ 02-20-2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: jbones11 ]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts