BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down to Miami next month and just looking for some input. There will be 4 of us down there and we are open to doing whatever is best this time of year whether it be inshore Tarpon or Swordfishing. I am lucky enough to get to fish a good bit, for the others I'd really like to just be (relatively) sure we catch a few fish. Any suggestions on what fishery and boat would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
-Chris

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
GTR get in touch with me... I have a friend that runs charters outta lauderdale i can put you in touch with him

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
that is the same time as the Miami Yamaha COntender Shoot out! The sailfish will be biting wind and temp dependant, and the tarpon should be around. Call Dave Kostyo on the Knot Nancy... he is not in the tournament and is great at both fisheries...

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Andrew you going to be around 1st weekend and last weekend in march? gonna try to organize a trip on my boat if u want to drive up...
1st weekend ill be on the gulf coast camping.... last weekend i should be free.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Headed down to Miami next month and just looking for some input. There will be 4 of us down there and we are open to doing whatever is best this time of year whether it be inshore Tarpon or Swordfishing. I am lucky enough to get to fish a good bit, for the others I'd really like to just be (relatively) sure we catch a few fish. Any suggestions on what fishery and boat would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
-Chris
have you considered to go down to the keys? awesome surf fishing and fishing off the bridges also besides just boat fishing.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Lots of large tarpon migrating through right now...which is about a month or two early.....must be the warm winter. I see them every morning during my jog across key biscayne bridge at first light.....they are eating shrimp which are also running.....

As far as charters, way too many options to list....check out floridasportsman(dot com).

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I could trek down to the Keys, my buddy runs a boat in Key West. Unfortunately while the group does want to fish they probably aren't committed enough to go on that kind of adventure. Thanks Frank! Hopefully they are still there in a few weeks when we arrive, I think that will be what we end up doing one or two afternoons. The afternoons are better no? Will you still be down there that week?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Bouncer Smith for Tarpon,Double D (Dean Panos) for Sails.Both are very good. Google'em -up

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Bouncer Smith for Tarpon,Double D (Dean Panos) for Sails.Both are very good. Google'em -up
I've never caught as many fish (species or quanity) as we did in two days with Bouncer, but I can't recommend him unless you enjoy being the brunt of his incessant yelling. He has a very large personality and waist line and both take up a lot of space on the boat. Not a good idea for thin-skinned people, kids or folks new to fishing. Having said that, we paid him to fish and we fished two long days, including one 14 hour marathon including jigging bait, sails, kings, bonita, jacks and then Govt. Cut tarpon after dark.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lots of large tarpon migrating through right now...which is about a month or two early.....must be the warm winter. I see them every morning during my jog across key biscayne bridge at first light.....they are eating shrimp which are also running.....

As far as charters, way too many options to list....check out floridasportsman(dot com).

Tight Lines,

Frank
Ok Frank where should i begin. 1 you don't jog! 2 YOU DONT JOG!! 3 when we going down there to target some tarpon, release a few then load up the coolers with some meat

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've never caught as many fish (species or quanity) as we did in two days with Bouncer, but I can't recommend him unless you enjoy being the brunt of his incessant yelling. He has a very large personality and waist line and both take up a lot of space on the boat. Not a good idea for thin-skinned people, kids or folks new to fishing. Having said that, we paid him to fish and we fished two long days, including one 14 hour marathon including jigging bait, sails, kings, bonita, jacks and then Govt. Cut tarpon after dark.
Wow ,I fished with him several times and he never raised his voice once.I'm surprised to here you say that.Dean Panos on the other hand can be rough on ya if you miss a fish.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Bouncer and Dean are both solid.

Speaking of solid, try to pass on the night time tarpon fishing and put out the full trolling spread at Solid Gold up in Aventura :cool:. Heard the yellowfin and red snapper run have been off the charts.....

Time for my jog (but before I forget, Joshie poo...have you figured out where the sand bars are on the entrance to West End?....make sure you fax me a copy of your capitano's license upon completion;)

Tight Lines,

Frank

Wow ,I fished with him several times and he never raised his voice once.I'm surprised to here you say that.Dean Panos on the other hand can be rough on ya if you miss a fish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.