BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my bottom soda blasted this off season. I plan to barrier coat it and painting it with a top quality multi-season ablative. After disasterous results with cheaper water based paint I don't want to skimp. I hear good things about Micron Extra except it tends to build up over time. I always liked Petit paints but never used Ultima SR 40 or SR 60. Sounds like the Ultima SR 40 and Micron Extra are close with 40% and 39% copper respectively. The Ultima SR has 60% copper and seems superior to both. Bluewater Copper Pro SCX 67 has 67% copper but not sure of the quality of this paint. Any advice would be appreciated. I want to make the right choice before buying 4 gallons of paint. It will cost almost as much as the soda blast:eek:. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Dr. Mike

Pulled my boat yesterday and not one bit of growth on the bottom or sides. We used Micron last season and in the past. I only paint bottom every two or three years as we run a lot and never have any growth problems with Micron althought it is expensive. I would think all the high end bottom paints would work fine.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you use the same maker barrier coat as paint. The paint compainies wont stand behind the product without it all being the same. We use Interlux only. 4 coats of Interlux Interprotect 2000e and recommend 2 coats of Interlux Mircon CSC. Its a multi season paint and we have had nothing but success with it. If you have any questions, feel free to call me to discuss 609-617-1009.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Go with the Micron Extra. We have used it on our boat for the past 5 years and have no build-up. Looks like one coat of paint is on the hull, with not barnacles or paint chipping or falling off. Micron Extra is our best selling paint behind ACT plus Interlux has some nice rebates on it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Did Micron Extra after soda blasting awhile back. Just have to touch up the water line every year and a full coat maybe every 3rd year. I did blue first, then black so I know where it's wearing from year to year.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
With one coat of Micron Extra you get two years without painting. Two coats you can go 3-4 years depending on how much the boat is used. Ultima needs at least two coats to get two years out of it. I posted in another thread last week that Pettit's gimmick is high copper that is basically excessive. Better paints like Micron Extra and CSC use less copper becuase the binding agents and resins are better and release the proper amount of copper over a longer period. Paints with high copper have a high copper spike at launch and day after day the copper content protecting the boat is less and less. It works but your adding weight and paying for all the extra copper.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mike I did the Henriques a few years back. Soda blast and I did the 2000E system and Micron extra 2 coats. I will need to repaint this spring but with touch ups it has held up well and I stay in all year. Just follow the directions on the barrier coat as far as times between coats and final painting and you can't go wrong. Also I picked up 2 knts. and trimmed off 9 gph. But I had alot of paint build up I don't think it was ever done before so you might not get the same speed or fuel savings as I did. Also smart blasting now so she gets a chance to dry out good.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Pulled my boat yesterday and not one bit of growth on the bottom or sides. We used Micron last season and in the past. I only paint bottom every two or three years as we run a lot and never have any growth problems with Micron althought it is expensive. I would think all the high end bottom paints would work fine.
I'm gonna call you in the morning on my office line. We need to address an issue with something If you still have it out of the water.

Brian

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
You could go by other's experiences in their waters or you could find out for yourself what works best in your area. Ask your painter to do half in one and half in the other. We'd all be curious with the results and you would know for sure what to use from now on. Thanks for being the guinea pig :D.

PS...I ain't kidding :D

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you use the same maker barrier coat as paint. The paint compainies wont stand behind the product without it all being the same. .

?????

What would a paint co do to
"Stand behind their product"????????

I mean if you follow all the directions on a gallon and do exactly as they say....and you pull the boat at the end of the season and its covered in growth...............what could you possibly get out of the paint company???? Have them blast it and repaint it for free??????

just curious about your remark......

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
?????

What would a paint co do to
"Stand behind their product"????????

I mean if you follow all the directions on a gallon and do exactly as they say....and you pull the boat at the end of the season and its covered in growth...............what could you possibly get out of the paint company???? Have them blast it and repaint it for free??????

just curious about your remark......
I have seen Interlux pay to have a boat soda blasted - Yes. I have seen interlux pay to repaint a bottom - Yes. I had a customers last year get a bad gallon of paint, Interlux sent him a free gallon of paint. If you follow the directions on the Interprotect and it doesnt work I have full confidence in Interlux to take care of the customer. Put a Pettit paint on top of the Interlux Interprotect...dont think they will stand behind it and why should they??? There are not a lot of companies left who do what I have seen interlux do. period.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Perfect example is this past Tuesday, our Interlux Rep had to come to the area to check out a boat with a problem with paint popping off trim tabs. All the application was done right but the metal was not roughed up enough and the primer did not adhere correctly. So what did Interlux do, canme by and grabbed a brand new quart of Interprotect and gave it to the customer free of charge. I have also seen the reps get under boats and fix problems customers have had.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Mike I think I bought 12 kits but only used 11 to get 5 coats of 2000e on her alternating colors grey to white to show coverage. Some guy's say you only need 2 but I had the factory barrier coat Henriques put on at the factory taken off also so I did all 5 coats. I only found 12 blisters on the entire hull the biggest one was a dime size on so I didn't have a lot of repairs other than the transducers I did away with that wern't hooked up anymore. I then used 5 Gal. of Micron to get 2 coats. The kits have instructions and general information on coverage. What they said I would need was real close. I would think you could get away with 8-10 kits but I can't think of your width off the top of my head but we can figure it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.