BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new proposed rule would establish 2005 management measures for the Atlantic bluefish fishery, including state-by-state commercial quotas, a recreational harvest limit, and recreational possession limits for bluefish. The level of Total Allowable Landings proposed for 2005 is slightly lower than that of 2004. Consistent with the Mid-Atlantic Council's recommendation, the proposed rule maintains the current recreational possession limit of 15 fish per person.

Comments on the proposed rule may be submitted by e-mail to [email protected]. Include in the subject line the following identifier: "Comments-2005 Bluefish Specifications.'' Public comments must be received no later than 5 p.m. on February 23, 2005.

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
I'm all for it. I think the limit could be cut down a little, too. Maybe a 20" minimum. I miss the 1980s when catching slammers was a regular thing.

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
I'm confused by this. The lack of slammers is not due to overharvesting is it? you mean to tell me there are really that many anglers keeping bluefish over 20"? or are you proposing a commercial limit of 20"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello;

New Member - First Post. It will work as a test too.

When did NJ raise the Bluefish limit to 15 a day. I must not have been paying attention or should have joined this board long ago as I still thought the NJ and DE and MD had a 10 fish no size limit per day on the Blues.

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
I think they raised it a few years ago. Recs have not filled their qouta in a while. Most years NMFS then transfers remaining rec qouta to the netters. If I remember correctly they raised it so if any recs wanted more then 10 they could have since it would only go to the netters anyway.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Forget the size limit. Many kids are hooked on saltwater by catching small snappers from bulkheads in late summer.

You can go a long time from these areas without catching one over 20 inches. For my taste buds it's the smaller fish with the best flavor. All for catch limits. Against size limits.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with Fred on this one. I don't like to eat bluefish at all, but everyone I know who eats them say that the best size is snapper to cocktail size. A 20" size limit would effectively eliminate the best eating size from the rec pool, right? Same goes with stripers, but that's another post in itself. The limits should ideally be on numbers, not size.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
The Bluefish is my favorite fish....in my opinion they get no respect. they get a bad rep b/c there meat spoils quickly and they can and do destroy tackle. I do agree that the bluefish under 25" are delicious when prepared for properly. They fight harder than a bass of equivalant size, they jump often when bass generally do not. I would like to see the possesion limit lowered to 8 or 10 fish b/c i see no need to keep 15 bluefish so somebody can use them as fertilizer....a swat team would be called if someone used a fluke or striper for fertilizer. it's not fair. If bluefish(meat) were cared for in the same manner as tuna,striper's or mahi people would love em'. i agree that they do not freeze well but when bled,iced quickly and cleaned the right way they are flat out awesome to eat! im getting hungry just thinkin' about em'! i agree that there should be no size limit but wish the possesion limit be lowered to 6 or 8 fish.

Nick

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Agree that bluefish are sometime's a day saver from the skunk.Fish have been lacking in number's lately,but it's alway's fun to get kid's hooked on fishing with small blue's.Get into a school of feeding blue's and kid's will be hooked and never forget it. I have a blast with them on light tackle!! 10 fish limit would be fine with me with no minimum size .Like all species,don't keep them if your not gonna eat them or feed them to a Mako !!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

You can catch slammers like these in the Delaware Bay every fall while you are fishing for stripers. They are lots of fun to catch but I don't care to eat them. I release them. At one time we were locked up with 2 slammers and 1 striper at the same time. It was real pandemonium. It is nice to catch the big blues when the stripers are not biting but I rather hook into a big bass any day. :D

I agree with chunking, no size limit, bag limit only. The small blues are much better to eat.

[ 02-18-2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Captblock ]

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
Why would we want to lower the limit on them?

We don't come close to filling our qouta now. And what we don't catch gets transfered right over to the netters. Either way same amount of fish are caught, just by different people.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Slow down the essentially uncontrolled commercial harvest and the Slammers will return! There is nothing right about letting netters simply take what they want. There is a limited market for this oily and hardly palatable fish. I know that some of you just love blues on the table, but when it hits the market is looks like wood and must taste like bunker!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Originally posted by Bob ECT:
Why would we want to lower the limit on them?

We don't come close to filling our qouta now. And what we don't catch gets transfered right over to the netters. Either way same amount of fish are caught, just by different people.
You got that right.

[ 02-18-2005, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Captblock ]

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nick My wife and me totally agree with you on eating bluefish. We love them. Not big on flounder But I like them with crab meat stuffing YUM YUM. But they get a terrible rap and the smaller ones that I like to eat are under 18 inches. the smaller the better. I bleed all blues no matter what. Its a great fish that deserves better. No saltwater fish has turned more kids into saltwater fisherman that any other. JMHO

Brian

·
Registered
378 Posts
I agree,I got my nephew hooked on fishing for sunnies at berlin park and snappers in the surf.I also love catching them on small lures and light tackle.We both enjoy bringing a few small ones home for the grill.My dad and his wife would rather eat blues then most other fish.Of course there the same two who like the taste of fat alberts,go figure.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hey Block I pickled some of those Slammers I caught over in Blakes and they taste great.I also cut all the dark meat off the filets and ground them up,I made fish burritos and they were devoured by my kids.I soak em in Milk for a day and they are fine table fare,I did release a few on a few occasions I didnt have any room left in the box ;) Did you here anything on the Recreational Closure of the River for the warm months on the River?I keep hearing rumors nothing for sure yet.HRL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Blues under 24" are good eating if Bled as soon as caught, put on ice, Blood meat carved out when filleting and then freeze them in plastic bags submerged in water (actually most all fish frozen this way will not turn 'strong' as quick as other ways of freezing and they will not freezer burn either..I have found that you get about 6 months or more of freezer time this way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts