BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No its not whats in a canoli..Its an all day kayak festival going on tommorrow 6/9/05 at the end of high street on the river. Races, food ,demos,displays, should be a good time. Suposedly they get over 10,000 people. We will be there with Hobies to test out.
Barrell

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
barrell,
I have lived in millville all my life, I believe this is going to be the first Summerfest.

I will be suprised if they draw more than 2000 people. I am not trying to put it down, but I don't think they advertised it enough.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
From July 2 Inquirer:

Millville's SummerFest by South Jersey's Maurice River on Saturday (rain date July 10) features 12 races for all ages (rentals available), as well as live bands and a chili cook-off. Details: 800-887-4957 or www.glasstownartsdistrict.com.

From glasstown arts district:

July 9 - Chili Cook-Off & Kayak - Canoe Regatta - 10 till 6 pm official "district contest for International Chili Society." Kayaking and canoe racing on Maurice River, live bands, downtown galleries and shopping, artists at work, and much more! www.internationalchilisociety.com

Goto chilli society link for entry,cash prizes, and other details.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I'll be there, if only for the chili!! :D I'm gonna have to put my boat in tonight instead of trying to fish tomorrow morning (hopefully the rain will be done by then). I don't want to get caught in the middle of that on the water...

M'ville:
You're right, they didn't advertise nearly enough. 2000 might be an overestimate.

[ 07-08-2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Jason,

I was at my house all day working. But my dad and my kids walked over. My Dad said it wasn't bad. I drove by on my way back to Wildwood and the traffic was minimal

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Bern,
If they had 10K there, the bridge would have been gridlock.

I am sure it was a good time as Bodacious was doing river tours on his boat as well as a lot of other festivaties.

I am just curoius of the crooked politicians that run the city were selling Barrell a bad bill of goods.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I live less than 15 minutes away and never heard of it till now.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I was there in the morning. I was actually out on the river in my boat in the early morning too doing some bass fishing before it got too jammed. I saw some early people setting up.

Some of that chili was really good! I voted for the dudes from CT. The Jack Daniels in the mix made for some interesting chili :D .

I highly doubt there were 10K people there. Maybe 2 or 3K at the most, though I wasn't there in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Just for the record the newspaper estimated crowds to be 4,000. Whatever the number I am just happy that I got my boat launched at 8:00 in order to avoid all that commotion. My guess is that they had to plan this event in order to justify the price of installing the "ghost marina". I have heard that late at night when the moon is full that the old Dutchman Prince Mauritus haunts that Marina (he is the only one who uses it).

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Just for the record the newspaper estimated crowds to be 4,000. Whatever the number I am just happy that I got my boat launched at 8:00 in order to avoid all that commotion. My guess is that they had to plan this

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No 10k but we had fun. What realy suprised me was everybody wanted to demo my foot propelled Hobie kayaks. Noone seemed to be intrested in the rgular paddle yaks. Had a 16 year old girl try to rip of a yak. It was getting late and I had to leave in an hour I told her just tp paddle out in front of my display because the tide was starting to run out. Next thing I know shes not in sight any more. I sent my asssitant upstream to the dam to look for her, he came back and said she wasnt up river so I jumped in a hobie and went downriver caught her 2 1/2 miles down river paddling her little arse off trying to get to her lowlife freinds who were waiting for her. I grabbed the rail of the yak and towed her with foot propuplsion 2 1/2 miles back up to the festival against the tide. She was a millville local. Her lowlife freinds were waiting at my display when I got her back there.
Barrell

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Dude that sucks! Didn't know someone would stoop that low... Glad you caught her. You should have tipped her over out in the water, THEN brought the yak back.

I saw your foot pedal yaks. Pretty cool design! You can get good speed with them, from what I saw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts