BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying out the minnie trap, sick of buying minnies every time i wanna go flatty fishing, cant seem to get any minnies, i tried various water levels (bottom, mid, surface) around my dock in avalon, water is about 5 feet at low tide, about 10 feet at high... using various fish parts as bait... bunker/bluefish/sea robin.... nothing has worked .. i have had some small spearing, and grass shrimp but nothing usable... i just bouyed my trap and through it in a small creek in the sod banks.. hopefully that will produce, any suggestions or strategies on making the trap more effective????:confused:

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Do you see any minnies in your area.. in my area there has been no bait in the area all year.. if there is no bait u cant catch it

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Incoming tide before dark, I believe, is the best time. My buddy minnow traps commercially. He does not keep his pots out overnight because there is almost none caught after dark.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
My best trapping is in water that barely covers the trap. Either tide, doesn't matter. I can get a quart in about 20 mins on a single piece of squid.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I heard you can use a piece of white styrofoam for bait. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
EddieB said:
I have heard the styrofoam, gum, a rag and many other things but I have found a crushed crab works the best for me.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just checked the trap i had down in the sod banks.... a quart or more of spearing... not exactly what i was lookin for , but im certanly not gonna turn them down!

·
Registered
797 Posts
EddieB said:
I've heard that also, but never tried it myself.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Shallow waters out of the strong current is the best place for trapping. A piece of Bread works great. They even eat part of a left over hogie! Never try styrofoam?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Minnows trap better at the sunrise. You want to find merky water you'll find more minnows in the merky water then you would in the clear water. Just throw a piece of bunker in your trap and you'll catch'm if they are there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
get mahi-mahi skins from an off shore fisherman and stuff them in the trap. i dont know what it is about them but i get soooo many killies in the trap that there is literally no room for more. its both effective and amazing. give it a try

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
mini trap

if you're leaving avalon headed towrds rt 9 after the last bridge there on the left in the small lil creeks, and i used a can of cat food with a few holes punched in it, got half a pot full

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
organized said:
get mahi-mahi skins from an off shore fisherman and stuff them in the trap. i dont know what it is about them but i get soooo many killies in the trap that there is literally no room for more. its both effective and amazing. give it a try
they do work great...bc they smell and they last long

1 - 16 of 16 Posts