BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a general question regarding yellow perch fishing. I used to fish YEARS ago in mid February for yellow perch as they came upriver to spawn. it was a location near Laurel Lake. If I recall last time I was there it was heavily posted! The road along side the pond/dam would take you to the river. Im sure some1 knows where im talking about! Is this still fishable? Id love to take my son there, as my father did years ago to catch these yellow perch as they travel towards the dam. If its off limits, are there equally productive areas to bring a kid fishing and ACTUALLY catch some decent fish? BTW small minnows were the ticket! We used to dip net hundreds of minnows some where near deptford/west deptford area.... I wish I could recall where it was! We would wait with a 2x2' dip net at the base of a pipe running under the highway and lift it up when the large school of minnows would exit the pipe! Im assuming these days are long gone! Thought it would be cool to let my kids experience the same adventures and joys I had as a child. It seems now all these areas are either posted, fished out, or just plain forgotten about!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, no responses?

125 hits and not a single response... LOL Im thinking anyone that knows about this is being tight lipped....LOL
Well it was worth a try....
Can any1 at least reccommend a good place to get some minnows? Id rather net or catch em but, if i have to buy, I have no other option......

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't know that area at all but take a ride there and see for yourself. The worse that could happen is they ask you to leave if its private. For yellow perch I would use small minnies :thumbsup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
The spot you are talking about is laurel lake. It dumps into the Maurice river. Yes, perch fishing is excellent there. I started to fish there years ago and have some great memorys there. I believe it is still ok to pull up and fish there. I usually just come up the creek with a boat and fish it now. Minnows used to be the ticket but a small jig under a small bobber will out produce minnows 3 to 1. The last pond before the spillway has some nice bass in it too.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
they come up many spillways, the one your asking about,usely saint pattys day was the marker day or the week before, your minnow spot the ole wip towler, now ten thousand know.

mays lannding spoonies along the bulkhead produces too,you'll see plenty of people fishing there,
the ole boat canle at uion lake has a run on em even tho the muskie didn't take a hold to well in the lake i bet if any did make it you may hook up there that time,

iona magla willson spillways have a small run a few days at best but if your a diehart you;ll have that few days you remenered back then,

some may say this is a spot burn but realy the window of great fishing is only a few days, good luck hittin it if your not out every day

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the update....

Ill have to dig deep into the memory banks and relocate this area.... its been some time... Thanks for the info...:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts