BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody ever fish the misty blue anymore or is tht place not fished anymore??
just wonderin maybe try it on the days the cigar is rigger to rigger

·
Registered
195 Posts
Misty Blue

:cool: Have had many trips over the Misty the past 7 or so years. It's a very special place to me for personal reasons but not always a consistent producer. I believe water temp and bait (LIKE BLUEFISH) is what turns that general area alive not so much the wreck itself if you're considering shark fishing there. The water depth there is just the start of the 20 fathom line. Have caught some Makos there but nothing huge. Really no blue sharks around that wreck in my past experience. Later in the summer months it was always a good place for some big brown sharks if you want to have a fun day fishing and don't care about meat. When the bluefish are in they always make it a fun day as they are usually the bigger ones.

Some good tuna action can also be found in the general area when they are around. The cigar area you mentioned seems to produce more often but usually more boat traffic especially on weekends.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
The Blue Has A Few Fingers North Of It And A Pimple On One Of Those Fingers. Almost Impossible To Shark There On A Tourney Day Or Weekend But If You Get A Mid-week Day And A Little Breezy It Can Be Great. Have Had Bluefin Around That Area Since Before The Misty Blue Way There. Even Had A Few Days Chunging Almost Dead Over The Wreck And Up To 80 Lbs. When There And Chumming Or Chunking Or Fishing The Wreck Itself Be Ready For Almost Anything.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
The entire area surrounding the Misty Blue is terrible - noone should ever fish that area. NO fish at all. Almost like someone installed an anti-fish device there. :D ;)

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Ahhh the blue...a special place indeed. Im kind of partial to it because i had an english setter growing up named misty blue. The other reason is for the one that got away. Now there is no way to know just how much this mako weighed but ill tell you this it was during the south jersey shark tourney and we had the ONE. She ate the deep line and 1hour later was boat side and im tellin you this shark was at least 10' long probably 12 cause it sure looked like it was almost half as big as the 24' er we were fishing.This is it were in the calcuttas its payday fellas, oops the first shot with the flyer doesent sink,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ to the bottom she goes but every thing holds and 1 hr 45 min later this fish is beat and boatside again and the gaffman screwed the pooch again and just didnt get it done ....... in his defense this truly was a different kind of beast were talking 600+ lbs , and we should have had 2 flyers but after the 2nd miss gaff she sounded again and then it happened terminal tackle failure, im not sure just what would have happened if the gaff shot would have stuck, i know we definitly could not have gotten that fish in the boat, probably would have missed the weigh in....but we beat that pig ...just couldnt seal the deal. Funny that was the same year a grander was caught in montauk a few months later with a few scars on its side that looked awful familliar.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have not fished it in a couple years. When I had a smaller boat I fished it every season. It is hit or miss. I actually hooked my first Blue Marlin there years ago in 82 degree water and lost it. It was just my wife and I, and it hit a Green Machine with a Boone Bird. I also caught yellowfin there and dolphin. It all depends on water temp and of course bait. I would try it and troll north through the 20 fathom fingers in that area to the south tip of the Cigar, ya never know. I think you have a better chance of catching a quality fish there than the East Lump because it's in the 20 line and it's only 7 more miles out. With cost of fuel I may try it this year especially if the canyons are slow. Good luck.:D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
this might sound stupid, but if you shark there do you drift, or anchor so your slick drifts over it?.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
take one said:
this might sound stupid, but if you shark there do you drift, or anchor so your slick drifts over it?.
Depends how fast your drift is, we have done both. If you have the right drift you can structure it to drift right over the wreck.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the come backs guys
sounds like its either hit or miss there but i think if we get some good temps in that area we give it a shot

·
Registered
212 Posts
From Absecon Inlet, anyone have an idea of how far of a run?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Mysty Blue location?

I now have 2 or 3 sets of numbers for the location of Mysty Blue. Can someone please provide one they know to be good?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
What he said.

Sean Manni said:
The entire area surrounding the Misty Blue is terrible - noone should ever fish that area. NO fish at all. Almost like someone installed an anti-fish device there. :D ;)
What he said. :D :D :D

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Team Mayhem said:
From Absecon Inlet, anyone have an idea of how far of a run?
GOT TO BE A LITTLE OVER 40 AND YOU HAVE WRECKS AND STRUCTURE JUST AS GOOD CLOSER---THE BLUE IS NOT A BIG WRECK BUT THE MAIN THING IS WHERE IT IS LOCATED. THE VESSELL IS A TRAWLER ABOUT 80' BUILT IN THE 70'S AN SUNK IN APRIL 1983.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ehhh, a little far for me. thanks for the info, i'll stick to the closer spots

·
Registered
71 Posts
bigfish4me said:
Ahhh the blue...a special place indeed. Im kind of partial to it because i had an english setter growing up named misty blue. The other reason is for the one that got away. Now there is no way to know just how much this mako weighed but ill tell you this it was during the south jersey shark tourney and we had the ONE. She ate the deep line and 1hour later was boat side and im tellin you this shark was at least 10' long probably 12 cause it sure looked like it was almost half as big as the 24' er we were fishing.This is it were in the calcuttas its payday fellas, oops the first shot with the flyer doesent sink,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ to the bottom she goes but every thing holds and 1 hr 45 min later this fish is beat and boatside again and the gaffman screwed the pooch again and just didnt get it done ....... in his defense this truly was a different kind of beast were talking 600+ lbs , and we should have had 2 flyers but after the 2nd miss gaff she sounded again and then it happened terminal tackle failure, im not sure just what would have happened if the gaff shot would have stuck, i know we definitly could not have gotten that fish in the boat, probably would have missed the weigh in....but we beat that pig ...just couldnt seal the deal. Funny that was the same year a grander was caught in montauk a few months later with a few scars on its side that looked awful familliar.
the biggest mako i ever hooked....and lost was at the blue on a tuesday in 1991. it was at least 800, ate the bluefish fillet and swam all the way to the boat. when it got to the boat with the hook in its mouth, not a worry in the world i wanted no part of him. it was my first mako. he looked at me, and took off. he played for 1 minute before the jump that put the line in his tail and ,goodbye. im glad i lost him as if i could im sure i would have killed him but glad i didnt, and couldnt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts