BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught in a T on saturday on a ds. Won me and my partner miscellaneous pool it weighed 2.55lbs :D. The different responses we got were sucker, buffalo, small carp, grass carp, koi, the offspring of a carp and a koi... :D WTF is it?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about that big dorsal fin though in the first pic, still a carp?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
That is a juvenile carp if I had to chose one...doesn't look remotely like a sucker species to me...its too broad. Suckers are more elongated as in the pictures provided. Koi means carp from what I know, so its a matter of what species of carp...good question.. The dorsal fin having a smooth taper to it instead of the elongated front end of the dorsal fin on the common carp, has me questioning the species...could just be a koi/carp that has no color..? Most koi/carp have similar dorsal fins...????

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like a carp but it doesn't have the scales and isn't elongated enough. I have no idead really. BTW, what were the results of the tournament. I had a 4 lber. on a jerkbait down there yesterday.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a carp but it doesn't have the scales and isn't elongated enough. I have no idead really. BTW, what were the results of the tournament. I had a 4 lber. on a jerkbait down there yesterday.
Thanks for mentioning that i forgot. This fish did not have scales as a carp does (we had a 20lber on for about 2 mins before he got unsnaggged)

As for results 9 boats hosted by SJ Reel Burners :thumbsup:

1st - 2 fish 5.15lbs

2nd - 2 fish 3.70lbs

Lunker - 2.80lbs

Pickeral Pool - 4.25lb slob

Miscellaneous Pool - yours truly with a 2.55lb WTF fish lol

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a chub sucker, erinyzon oblongus.
This crossed my mind but i caught what we called a chub sucker this time last year at Iona and it looks a lil different and nowhere near this big

Looking at it again it just might be one of these, did we throw back a state record? lol

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
This crossed my mind but i caught what we called a chub sucker this time last year at Iona and it looks a lil different and nowhere near this big

Looking at it again it just might be one of these, did we throw back a state record? lol
If you look at the anal fin (lower fin right before the tail) in the two pictures, they are identical. I still say it is a chub sucker.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It's a buffalo....not sure of the species but it is a buffalo. There are so many kinds you'd be amazed.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
:D I think Dave C is right on. It looks very similar to the pictures on the net. My first thought....South Jersey...INBREEDING???? Yes, Fish do it.:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd have to go with a carp hybrid either with a chub or goldfish. If you look the mouth is upright like a goldfish and is lacking barbels.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts