BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting here in Delaware with 30" of snow outside that I got to shovel today...but then I realized that I haven't respooled my tld-30's with a top shot yet ? I have loaded the reel with 50lb braid and want a good low profile knot .
I also want to know what knot people use to tie their leader to braid on the jigging rods, which will allow the knots to go through the guides smothly

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
We started to use the "Sebile knot" last season for exaclty what you are proposing- 50# power pro to 50# mono top shot. The knot uses the chinese handcuff principle, very low profile and easy to tie. Just google "sebile knot" and a couple how to videos will be first in line. Also an excellent choice for your jigging set up. Just offering another good option. There are many ways to skin a cat.:D

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
One thing that I think the video lacks is that the tag end of the mono is left longer than neccessary. I trimmed it shorter so as to ensure it does not get hung up in a guide. I also applied a little Zap glue to the transition point to give it even a smoother transition. Notice the smoother transition point in this second video. http://videos.sportfishermen.com/ac..._Knot__A_New_Way_To_Attach_Mono_To_Power_Pro/

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I couldnt agree more Sterling. What I did was do you know how to wrap the eyes of your fishing pole? You make a loop out of a piece of braid and lay it against your knot. Then wrap tag end of braid about 10 times over the loop you made then put tag end thru the loop and pull the tag end under your wraps. Then trim close and put a drop of super glue to keep from unwinding. TJ

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
That's pretty darn cool.. but can you do it in the dark on a jetty?

I have been uni to uni forever and this clearly will stop the slight bump that the conection makes when going thru the guides that sometimes costs you distance and even the occasional hang-up.

Time for practice....

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Crazy al knot works great for me for togging and bass, don't see why it wouldn't work offshore, sounds like the sebile knot in that it uses the principles of the chinese finger trap

Just checked out the Sebile knot, definatly a skinnier lower profile knot but definatly not for me, I can't inmagine trying to do that on the beach/jetty at 3am

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just checked out the Sebile knot, definatly a skinnier lower profile knot but definatly not for me, I can't inmagine trying to do that on the beach/jetty at 3am
I just tried the Sebile and like it too, similar to PR in principal but easier to tie and seems just as strong, thanks.

One thing I've found is that if I'm fishing in an area that's prone to snags, I like to use a mono that's slightly lighter / weaker than the braid. Since the Sebile mono to braid union is almost 100% the knot at the hook/swivel is more likely to break since it's probaly only 70%, that way you shouldn't have to re-tie the Sebile on the water / rocks, at least not every time you have to break off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love the PR knot, it's strong and smooth. I also will use a midknot, if your good you can tie this on the beach or at night. They are both similar to the Sebile knot which i'm sure is great too. All these knots will blow away a uni to uni in strength and smoothness out of the guides.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I just tried the Sebile and like it too, similar to PR in principal but easier to tie and seems just as strong, thanks.

One thing I've found is that if I'm fishing in an area that's prone to snags, I like to use a mono that's slightly lighter / weaker than the braid. Since the Sebile mono to braid union is almost 100% the knot at the hook/swivel is more likely to break since it's probaly only 70%, that way you shouldn't have to re-tie the Sebile on the water / rocks, at least not every time you have to break off.
whats the PR knot

when fishing from a jetty, your braid can also get frayed from the rocks which means ya gotta re-tie, and using a lighter mono is definatly a no-no for jetty fishing,a trophy bass' gill plate will cut through 20# even 30#mono like a hot knife through butter. On an average 4hr jetty trip I might retie 6 times just due to fraying of the leader or braid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.