BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shimano cardiff with 15 pound mono on it that i would like to use for fluke in the back and outfront. However, i think for flukin ive become a bigger fan of braid so i was considering switching the mono to braid. Should i strip all of the mono off except on layer then connect the braid so my line doesn't slip? I was thinking i would just leave enough mono on to cover one layer of the spool then i would tie a uni to uni and fill the rest of the reel with braid. Also, i was thinking of using 20 pound power pro, but because i will be in the ocean on the reefs as well should i be thinking 30? Winter blues have been tough, lets get through these next few months and get to some fishing!
Thanks for all the help
Fly

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
You got everything right as far as the process goes. I'm not familiar with the cardiff, or ocean flukin either, but 20# should be fine

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I am not familiar with the Cardiff but I assume if you are using it for ocean fluking it has some line capacity. Depending on the spool of braid you buy (150, 300, etc) you may have to leave some mono on there. The safest bet is to buy the large spool and use Zar's method.

Just dont end up spooled a half inch low, get me?

And 30# braid is gonna be much easier to fish than 15# mono and will give you some knot insurance, go with it if you will be flukin the ocean.

RyanF

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea im a big fan of braid now. I love how it allows you to feel everything thats going on, plus it wont take as much weight to get to the bottom as mono would. As for the electric tape, I will try that out with the arbor knot, and 30# braid it is:thumbsup:
Fly

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
What # Cardiff ?

If it's a 400 you are looking at propably 700-800 yards of 20# PP to fill it up properly. My suggestion is to go with at least 30# on a baitcaster that size. If you go thinner the small diameter is an issue. I would suggest actually 40# or 50#. but for ultimate thin diameter the 30# is good.

my rough formula for a 400 size reel is 50 yards of 30# mono and 150 yards of 50# PP. if you go with the 30# you will want at least 75 yards of 30# mono and you will get an easy 150 yards on top. That way if you loose some line or just feel like you want to change it out you only have to change a 150 yard top shot.

For the best performance of a bait caster it is much more important to have the reel filled to capasity than have a lot of line.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Look at your info on the reel regarding line capacity and keep enough of the existing mono on it to give you 200 yards of 40# PP on top. 200 yards is more than enough for fluke fishing.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Avoid all the issues figuring out how much mono you need to leave on the reel strip it all off and have your local B & T spool the reel for you. They get it much tighter than you will be able to do with a store bought spool of braid. Putting braid on a conventional reel yourself the first time can cause major problems with it digging in to the spool especially when you get hung up on the bottom drifting fluke. 200 yrds of 30# braid w/ 50 -75 yards of 12-15 mono backing is all you need. Have your local B & T do it so you don't lose fishing time caused by knots & Birds nests its worth the extra couple of bucks.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Woerk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Putting enough braid on a reel

Heres what I do. It takes a little extra effort and a long driveway.

I usually buy the 150 to 300 yard braid rolls and tie the braid to the spool and fill the reel. The roll will empty before the reel fills up. Then I tie my connection knot for braid to mono and complete the reel filling with mono. I then tie the mono to something and walk down the driveway until the reel is empty. I then cut the braid knot on the reel and tie it to something secure. I walk back to the begining and tie the mono to the reel and under good tension fill the reel. This way the spool is topped off and I've used all of the braid. You just need a long driveway or somewhere else where you can walk a couple of hundred yards.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
The hard part with a filler spool is judging so you end up with the end of your line close to the top of your spool or drum. When I spooled up reels here at the shop I always had to guess. More than once I had to take the braid of to put more backing on the reel. I always had filler spools but now I have the big bulk spools of Fireline so that problem was eliminated.

The important thing is to make sure you get the line on right the first time or you will have problems. Don't know where you are from but if you bring your braid and reel in to the shop I will make sure it goes on correctly and no charge. I know what it's like when it's not on the right way and it sucks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After seeing the posts and not wanting to have to worry about possible reel problems while fishing, going to a tackle shop and having them do it is most likely my best option. Chunking, in the summer im in the margate/longport area. Im not completely sure how long the trip is to the shop however ive always thought its around an hour. Would be nice to make it down there one day and talk fluke though.
To the tackle shop it is!
Fly

·
Registered
773 Posts
Blowtoad - I have done it that way ever since Spider Wire came out (how many years ago?) and have never had a problem. Actually only have to do the whole process the first time. When I cast and can see my knot it is time to remove the remaining braid and put on another 150 yds. All of my reels are set up this way - fresh and salt.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Blowtoad - I have done it that way ever since Spider Wire came out (how many years ago?) and have never had a problem. Actually only have to do the whole process the first time. When I cast and can see my knot it is time to remove the remaining braid and put on another 150 yds. All of my reels are set up this way - fresh and salt.
You dont switch until you cast and see your knot? Are you trout fishing? No offense, I trust my knots but I dont want to see that knot!

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
RyanF - No offense taken. I didn't say I go until the knot comes off the spool. I have been doing it this way for more than 15 years and never had a problem yet.
Just lookin out for ya bro, have you fought a fish on the knot yet?

RyanF

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
what your doing sounds good to me
i use 20 on the reefs and its plenty strong enough its stronger than you think
also remember 20 lb is alot thinner than 30 lb which makes it alot easier to get to the bottom on those depper reefs

·
Registered
19 Posts
What Blowtoad and nhanzel said. I've been doing it that way for years. I rarely lose that much braid to hangups. Mostly breaks at the leader knot. I'm using 14# Fireline. So after a year or two of heavy use the last 20'-30' gets a little fuzzy. Its then that I reverse the Fireline and I'm good to go for another couple of years.

zar - Putting the braid on first then the mono is the only way to get just the right amount of both braid and mono on the spool... then reverse it putting the mono on the bottom. Do it once and you'll see why its done that way. I marked off 150 yards across my yard. Thats how much braid I put on.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
zar - Putting the braid on first then the mono is the only way to get just the right amount of both braid and mono on the spool... then reverse it putting the mono on the bottom. Do it once and you'll see why its done that way. I marked off 150 yards across my yard. Thats how much braid I put on.
why not fill your entire reel with braid?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.