BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on theRosie today. Caught my limit of 10 keepers. Most people did pretty well and the pool fish was about 20 pounds.

The ocean was pretty calm today (the calm before the storm).

Today bait outfished jigs. Also, white jelly worms were the best color today. This is what the pool winner was using.

Steaming back to the dock right now at about 8 knots (and typing this on my BB)

Peter

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you put them on the hook as a teaser with the clam. Here are some recommended tips and hints for Montauk cod fishing.
  1. Tie your high low (or rather high/higher) cod rigs before you go up there.
  2. Bring an assortment of teaser grub worm/jelly worm colors. From one day to the next what turns the cod on changes.
  3. Bring plentry of lead (from 8 oz to 20 oz).
  4. Bring a large cooler on the boat.
  5. Get up to the boat early and get a choice spot at the rail.
  6. Just like black fishing, cod fishing can happen within pockets on the boat. Don't be afraid to move around on the boat.
  7. If the people around you are catching and you are not, try to see what they are doing & using.
  8. Bring some 8 to 10 oz diamond jigs with you. Sometimes jigging can be very effective. if you do opt to give it a try, put a tester about 2 feet above the jig.
Good luck.

Peter

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes, you put them on the hook as a teaser with the clam. Here are some recommended tips and hints for Montauk cod fishing.
  1. Tie your high low (or rather high/higher) cod rigs before you go up there.
  2. Bring an assortment of teaser grub worm/jelly worm colors. From one day to the next what turns the cod on changes.
  3. Bring plentry of lead (from 8 oz to 20 oz).
  4. Bring a large cooler on the boat.
  5. Get up to the boat early and get a choice spot at the rail.
  6. Just like black fishing, cod fishing can happen within pockets on the boat. Don't be afraid to move around on the boat.
  7. If the people around you are catching and you are not, try to see what they are doing & using.
  8. Bring some 8 to 10 oz diamond jigs with you. Sometimes jigging can be very effective. if you do opt to give it a try, put a tester about 2 feet above the jig.
Good luck.

Peter
What is a choice spot at the rail on a Cod Trip?

I will be leaving on a 24 hour trip out of Belmar on the 5th next month and have started tying my rigs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Congratulations on a Great Trip

Congratulations on a great trip. Many times cod just like any other fish will shut down during slack water and have a certain time they like to eat during the height of the bite. You will pick during the day especially on the jigs and then it can become quite fast especially of anchored over a solid pile of both cod and haddock. I also like to use a sand eel imitation teaser once the sand lance are the bait of choice for feeding cod on Stellwagen Bank.

Remember to bleed your fish and ice down after catching each one to maintain excellent quality of the fillets for the freezer.

Capt Dave (Stellwagen Bank Cod and Tuna)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I try to be the first person on the boat and will stick my rod in one of the corners in the stern. I like the stern. 2 trips ago the stern was the place to be. Yesterday, when we first anchored up the bow had the hot bite.

Net/net, if I have a choice I take one of the corners of the stern but I also keep my eyes open (and you can get a good view of the boat from the corner) and will move to another spot on the boat if they are catching, and if they have room for me (I try not to be too much of a mugger).

The captain from the Relentless knows his stuff.:thumbsup:

Here is a good bleeding trick that MJbites and big Jeff taught me. Slit the fished throat as soon as you catch him, and throw him in a large bucket of water. That enables the fish to bleed out while swimming. I will then throw the fish on ice.

I was fishing with mostly Koreans yesterday and they tried to keep their catch alive for as long as possible (before bleeding and icing).

I plan to go up to Montauk again as soon as I am out of the dog house at home with the General.

Peter

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am also planning a cod trip out of Montauk at he end of Feb. I just looked up the reg's for NY online and it shows "no limit" to quantity of cod (22" min) as of Jan. 15, 2010...You stated having your 10 fish limit...Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMO, the 10 fish limit is fine. Yesterday I ended up with close to 25 pounds of fillets. That is a lot of meat.

Also, that area takes a pounding.

I want there to be fish for us in future years. We have a good thing going in Montauk and I don't want to see it get fished out.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a copy of the post from the Captain, complete with pictures.

Just around a boat limit for 17 fares.Had a great pick all day with a few slammer drifts mixed in.high hook goes to Capt Freddy Lipton with 17 keepers.The pool went around 22lbs.

cod

cod

Cod

cod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.