BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Bald Eagel,

Great fishing with you and your possee the other day. That was nice fishing we had up until about 7am. Believe it or not. I have seen far better fishing up there.Hopefully, the bite continues.

Here is my own biased boat selection for Montauk Cod fishing

When is it honking pretty good and only a couple of boats are sailing i will sail on The Viking

Pro's
  1. Biggest party boat on the earth (or close to it) that is solid in crappy seas
  2. Captain fish this water every day, weather permitting, year round and have done so for years.
  3. Usually very good mates
Con' s
  1. The boat can get pretty crowded
When the seas are not too bad and the fleet is sailing, my favorite boat is the SUSIE E2

Pro's
  1. My favorite captain and mate in the fleet. They are very knowledgable and very nice. They are a great tag team. We have a lot of laughs on this boat. They are very serious fishermen who can/do laugh at themselves
  2. This 48' boat usually carries between 8 and 12 fisherman. Always room on the deck

Cons
  1. The cabin can be tight with 12 fishermen. Also, when it turns snotty in Montauk (and it can on a dime) this boat is not going to take a pounding as well as a big boat like the Viking.
  2. Since it is a small boat it can be sometimes harder to get a spot on this boat.
I put the Rosie at # 2

Pro's
  1. He usually limits the number of fishermen to 20. Last time out we had 24 anglers.
  2. While these are not the Rosie's native waters (he usually fishes out of Moriches) he fished them very hard and has been a quick learner. The last time out (with bald Eagel) we sailed 1.5 hours before anyone else in the fleet to get a jumo on the fish (and it paid off).
Con's
  1. I have gone out twice on the Rosie this cod season. First time out we had great mates. Last time out the mates were not nearly as good.
Honorable mention

The Miss Montauk

Captain Jaime and his crew are very nice people and knwo the waters quite well. I did not rate them higher because I have not been able to get out on this boat this Cod season.

I am sure that the other boats in Montauk are fine boats. I am just giving you my opinion. Also, my write-up did not include the straight private charters like the Capt Mark and Blue FinN IV. Both of these boats have very experienced & hard working crews.

Peter

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pete,
Thanks very much for the info, I find it very helpful as I am trying to learn the ropes on cod fishing. I am booked on Dantes' charter for saturday on the Capt. Lou for my first cod trip,and I am trying to learn what I can before I get on the boat. If I get on the boat with this frikkin' weather.
So, if you do not mind, a few questions:
Do you drive up and drive right home on the day of the charter? Is that tough?
Do you do anything special with your catch after it is filleted?
You spoke, I think, of bleeding out your catch and letting it swim around in a saltwater tub during this lovely process. Does the boat provide this service, or is that particular to you? I cut all my catches and I would like to do this.
I got lots more, thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Tim,

here are some responses for you

Do you drive up and drive right home on the day of the charter? Is that tough?

I try to get to the boat 2 hours before it sails. I do this to get a choice spot at the rail. I will send you a PM on where I think the best spots are.
It is not tough to drive up with no sleep and drive home. This is because it is a 2.5+ hour steam each way to/from the fishing grounds. I sleep both ways. I either bring a beanbag chair and/or sleeping bag with me. IMO, this is the only way to travel on these types of trips.

Do you do anything special with your catch after it is filleted?
You spoke, I think, of bleeding out your catch and letting it swim around in a saltwater tub during this lovely process. Does the boat provide this service, or is that particular to you? I cut all my catches and I would like to do this.

I slit the fish's troat and stick them head's down (thanks to MJbites for sharing this bleeding technique with me) in a large bucket of salt water. i bring my own bucket on board. I will remove the fish about 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour after doing this, and stick them in my 100 quart cooler. Bring your own cooler on board.

Like you i usually cut my own fish. However, watch the mates on board cut someone else's fish and then decide if you want them to fillet your fish or not. Most of the mates in montauk are real pro's and do a fantastic job of filleting.

When i get home I vacuum seal all of the fish that i am going to freeze.

I got lots more, thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Montauk cod

Peter; I live up north here by you;;and would like to try and go next week with the right window; I am booked on Dante,s trip Sat; but have a feeling it will be blown out; I can go any day;; so let me know .. Joe MJ,s

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pete,
thanks again, I appreciate the info. the bean bag chair is a real good idea.
A couple more:
Can you describe the typical rod/reel you like to use and why?
Do you ever bring your own particular bait ( ie; white leggers), or does the boat provide what you need?
What are your thoughts on jigs v. bait, hook sizes, teasers, amount of lead?
thanks for letting me pick your brain, its nice to follow along with you on your adventures.
tim

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Little MJ's, I am going on Sunday, March 7 on the SUSIE E2. It is an open charter and there are available spots. If you are interested, just call Captain Burt (631.523.8862). If you want, my buddy and I will be happy to car pool with you. I have a Toyota Sequoia with plenty of room.

Tim,

See below,

Can you describe the typical rod/reel you like to use and why?

I bring two rod and reel combo's.

The first rod is for the bait setup. I use a 7 foot, 9 inch St Croix beef stick and a Avex LX reel. You are fishing in waters up to 175 feet deep. Also, you can be using up to 20 ounces of lead. I like the rod to be stiff enough so that I can set the hook home when the cod is playing with the bait (kind of like deep water blackfishing IMO).

For the rigs I usually use 60 pound leader material. I tie a perfection knot on the bottom (for the sinkers) and then two two six inch dropper loops. The first one is about 9 inches to a foot above the sinker and the second loop is about two feet above the first loop. This time of year I use 6/0 or 7/0 Gama Baitholder hooks.

I use pink and white plastic teasers on each hook. Pink on the top and white on the bottom. Squid & worm shapes work quite well.

The better boats provide fresh surf clams. Sometimes I soak both the clams and teasers in smelly jelly (I am looking for whatever advantage possible:thumbsup:).

No need to bring crabs. I bring lead between 8 oz and 20 oz.

On the second rod I have a 8 to 10 oz cod jig setup. Two feet above the jig I put a white teaser & hook on a dropper loop. No need to put clam either on the teaser or jig.

When the cod fishing is fast and furious I often switch to the jig. I usally get bigger fish on the jig and it is more fun having them smack the jig. If you don't believe me just ask MJbites or look at this nice 15 pounder he got while jigging with me last Thursday.

My second rod is one of those Loomis 7.5 foot muskie sticks (rated for 17 to 40 pounds) and a Saltiga 30. This setup is a little more sensative than the first setup.

I bring plenty of extra plastics, rigs and jigs. You know the boy scount motto, be prepared. The Cod fishing is either frantic or quiet. The last thing you want is needless downtime during a hot bite,

On a final note if you are not catching and the people around you are catching, look at their setup to see what they are doing that is different.

For example, three weeks ago this guy several spots down from me was nailing the biggest cod on the boat. He was getting them on the bottom bait hook & white jelly worm. That day I had every color plastic but white with me. I went out the next day and corned the market on white plastics.

Another time when we were on the drift the guy next to me was nailing more fish than the rest of the boat. I looked over and saw that he was fishing with no teasers. I removed my teasers and started catching Cod.

PS My favorite spot on the cod boats is the starboard corner in the stern.

Peter

Do you ever bring your own particular bait ( ie; white leggers), or does the boat provide what you need?
What are your thoughts on jigs v. bait, hook sizes, teasers, amount of lead?
thanks for letting me pick your brain, its nice to follow along with you on your adventures.
tim

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
BTW, I should add that Bald Eagle and his team definately out produced me on the last trip. :bow:

BE had one friend in particular who had a bent rod/large fish on every time I looked over at him

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the info peter. wish i took my beanbag with me. when i first saw the boat i though it was mistake to be going on such a small old boat. when we started fishing at about 4:30 i though we would sit there till sun up to wait for the bite. i think we where the only boat that caught well. capt fred knows his shett. the worms in the cod gross me out.:eek: i pick them out but it still gets me a little sick to be look out for them while eating.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Bald Eagel,

I have fished on the Rosie several times. Both captains are serious fishermen who are into catching fish. It is an old slow boat, but they produce more fish than most of the other boats.

IMO on that last trip they definately brought the team B mates. They usually have awesome mates working. Their team A mates usually outfish everyone, as well as gaff every fish, undo every tangle and fillet every fish in a timely manner. Plus they are fun guys to be around.

I know that we outfished all of the other boats in the AM bite (the early bird gets the worm, or is this case the Cod). I spoke to Captain Burt from SUSIE EII the next day. They got a great bite going late in the day at the same location that we caught them at first light.

I don't worry about the worms. Between last years and this year's Cod run I have been on at least 10 Montauk Cod trips. I have probably kept around 200 pounds of fillets. I don't know of any one consumed fillet that has resulted in someone not feeling well. Also, i think that it is the best tasting fish out there.

Peter

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pete,
Well it looks like our charter for this weekend is definitely off.:mad: I will be heading up to Montauk before the cod run is over this year, I think I will wait for the right weather and just fly up there on short notice.
Thanks again for the info, hope to see you on the rail off BI.
Tim

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Tim,

5 of us are going on Sunday, March 7 on the SUSIE EII. It is an open charter and there are available spots. If you are interested, just call Captain Burt (631.523.8862).

It should be a great time (providing that we get out)

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.