BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
BIGAL,.....I live in Barnegat, I can't make this Wed. Because I have a dentists Appointment. but, I would be interested in maybe making a trip with you in the future. I have equiptment and would do the drive, just so I wouldn t have to make the trip alone.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Here is my own biased boat selection for Montauk Cod fishing

When is it honking pretty good and only a couple of boats are sailing i will sail on The Viking

Pro's
  1. Biggest party boat on the earth (or close to it) that is solid in crappy seas
  2. Captain fish this water every day, weather permitting, year round and have done so for years.
  3. Usually very good mates
Con' s
  1. The boat can get pretty crowded
When the seas are not too bad and the fleet is sailing, my favorite boat is the SUSIE E2

Pro's
  1. My favorite captain and mate in the fleet. They are very knowledgable and very nice. They are a great tag team. We have a lot of laughs on this boat. They are very serious fishermen who can/do laugh at themselves
  2. This 48' boat usually carries between 8 and 12 fisherman. Always room on the deck
Cons
  1. The cabin can be tight with 12 fishermen. Also, when it turns snotty in Montauk (and it can on a dime) this boat is not going to take a pounding as well as a big boat like the Viking.
  2. Since it is a small boat it can be sometimes harder to get a spot on this boat.
I put the Rosie at # 2

Pro's
  1. He usually limits the number of fishermen to 20. Last time out we had 24 anglers.
  2. While these are not the Rosie's native waters (he usually fishes out of Moriches) he fished them very hard and has been a quick learner. The last time out (with bald Eagel) we sailed 1.5 hours before anyone else in the fleet to get a jumo on the fish (and it paid off).
Con's
  1. I have gone out twice on the Rosie this cod season. First time out we had great mates. Last time out the mates were not nearly as good.
Honorable mention

The Miss Montauk

Captain Jaime and his crew are very nice people and knwo the waters quite well. I did not rate them higher because I have not been able to get out on this boat this Cod season.

I am sure that the other boats in Montauk are fine boats. I am just giving you my opinion. Also, my write-up did not include the straight private charters like the Capt Mark and Blue FinN IV. Both of these boats have very experienced & hard working crews.

Here is some reocmmended tackle setups:
  • Stout rod, 7 ft to 9ft (20 to 50 pound setup, or something like that)
  • High crank reel w/ 50 pound+ braid and mono topshot
  • Bring lead from 8oz to 20oz. Right now they are fishing in about 150 of water
  • For bait setups (boats will provide clams) bring high low cod rigs. To tie these the simpliest way, tie a perfection loop at the bottom (for the lead) and then two dropper loops above this (one at 9 inches above the perfection loop and the second one at 3 feet about the perfection loop). Put Gama 6/0 or 7/0 baitholder hooks on the loops. Use either grub, worm or squid teaseers on the hooks (along with the baited clams). My favorite teaser colors are pink, while and blue.
  • For jigging setup, bring jigs of 8oz to 14 oz in size. Tie a teser about two feet above the jig.
Good luck

peter
Peter

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
The weather looks really good for Wednesday. I am booked for Friday already but, the weather will probably cancel that trip so I am thinking about trying Wednesday myself. What is the worst that can happen two trips in one week? Still on the fence right now. Boat recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

I guess I type slow, thanks Peter!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Viking Fleet no doubt

Went on 5 trips this year all on Viking Star, last one was yesterday, best Capt. in Montauk, best mates= best time to be had. On Sat. boat limited out by 6am. Yesterday we had same conditions and everyone had high hopes, wasn't to be 2 cod first 9 hours but Capt. Steven Sr. would not give up he kept us out well beyond our scheduled time in until fish turned on. Ended up with 16 nice cod and my buddy won the pool. I had my limit of 10 fish and missed 2nd place pool by about 2oz. Hey Big Al there was big guy fishin with us from Waretown and he was the one that took 2nd in the pool. Well if you go give em hell!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Viking Star. 105 foot and only takes 28 strict. Pay a little more, but the extra room makes up for it. Very comfortable. THe only con is that the Viking boys go in anything. When I went we had 8-10 footers all day and even if the fish are biting those are tough conditions.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
like 28 mako said, yesterday the fishing was WAYYYY off. We fished the Frances fleet and it was tough.

I do not like Long Island and so opt to drive to Rhode Island. I saw a bunch of boats out there I never heard of.

Ive had to dig to find these boats.

Also, if naybody wants on Walshes Party boat, i called them this weekend and they are fishing, but the website isnt updated and the lady said they are locked out of it.

So you have to call the office to find the latest schedule and news.

Anybody wants to go with me the next time I head up give drop me a line.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.