BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the trip to Montauk cod fishing Friday the 10. beautiful day on the water. Little slow, not like last years mayhem. Did manage one cod, but a good she was. Pool winner 30+lbs. Boy the big ones fight hard. :D

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
well i dont see one fishing being great but it does help you won the pool.. better then working or sitting behind a computer reading reports.. good job.. on bait or jig?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been hammering the cod for the past few years out in Montauk. The problem is with water temps this low, the doggies are so thick the cod just dont have a chance. Its a tough bite, had to scale down to one hook. I did get a bunch of ling though. Shorts on the jigs most fish caught were on bait.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Been hammering the cod for the past few years out in Montauk. The problem is with water temps this low, the doggies are so thick the cod just dont have a chance. Its a tough bite, had to scale down to one hook. I did get a bunch of ling though. Shorts on the jigs most fish caught were on bait.
The actual problem this year is the water temp is too high thus the influx of dogs. This year a lot of fishermen have been going with one hook bait rig a little higher off the bottom to keep it away from fido, same with your teaser worm, grub, whatever, dressed with clam neck. It seems to work pretty well

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
It's hard to take a trip to Montauk or Ri to fish for cod based on the reports I've read.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Neighbor!

30+ lbs , Very Nice :thumbsup:

I hope your doing your leg and back/core workouts for NC in a few weeks...

·
Registered
924 Posts
30lb cod nice

agree with above post that winning the pool made it a good day .1 fish is crap trip just lucky you caught the right one .fishing up there last few years has been hit or miss even if the boat limits out the day before does not mean your garrantied to do good too.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
to me, this year with the water temp and the dogs, not worth the trip even though better than a day at the office

however, congrats on catching the pool

i would rather catch clear nose skates that doggie after doggie after doggie

well you know what i mean

it pisses you off, you know the cod are there, and we fight the dogs all the time down here, then to take a long ride for cod, just a double whammy.

i guess the other point is we know the dogs are not endangered and we are just getting overwhelmed by them, just more bad science

1 - 16 of 16 Posts