BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on heading up to Monntauk in Oct this year. Does anyone have any info on where to look for a place to stay for 4-5days. Planning on doing alot of surf fishing so any additonal info on Beach Access licenses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Is it a vacation or are you going to fish? If you are going to fish, in the car at the point. There are some hotels in the town, but they are a little pricey. You may want to book like two nights, for when you are really tired, but other than that I would just rest in the car. You do not need to drive on the beach in Montauk. Everything is accessable by foot. There is a fee to park in the lot. There will be an attendent there during the day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi JC,
MakoJoe is right... Montauk is a bit on the pricey side...but certain rooms are discounted during the October and Nov. months (catered to Surfcasters).

There are various permits available but the most common are the 4x4 State Permit will run you $49.00 and it will give you access to the State Park as well as the most common areas (Clark's cove, False Bar, Jones Reef and Stepping Stones and near the lighthouse). The same permit will also give you access to many other LI prime spots like the Gilgo, Great South Bay and Jones Beach access.

There is also the County Permit (Non-Resident full year will cost you $200 - Same permit from October - Dec.15 will cost you $75.00 + $25.00 Green key). This is another permit and it gives you access to the Montauk's Shagwong prime spot! In addition to that... it gives you access to Shinnecock and Moriches Inlet.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines,

"Crazy" Alberto

[ 03-18-2004, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Crazy Al ]

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Crazy Al - I have asked this questions in a couple of other forums with no "good" answers. Do you know what (or where to find) the 2004 regs are - especially for fluke?? Went up last year and did great - but I heard it may only be 2 or 3 fish/day. Any info would help.

Thanks - Rocco

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Insanity,

The 2004 Fluke and Scup regulation is still in the limbo? and it?s not looking good for New Yorkers. We are currently looking at some major deduction, which is causing some major uproar.

As to the other species? New Yorkers will have to content with the following:

Striped bass = One fish per day at 28? minimum. Season Opens April 15 through Dec. 15.

Bluefish = No size limit but 10 fish per man (including snappers).

Flounder = 11? minimum Size with a limit of 15 fish per day. Season opens 3rd Saturday or March to June 30 and September 15 to November 30.

Weakfish = 16? minimum size at 6 fish per day.

Blackfish = 14? minimum size limit ? Season October 1st ? May 31. Closed June 1 ? Sept. 30.

Seabass = 12? minimum length, 25 fish per day. Season opens Jan. 1st ? Sept. 1st, then from September 16 ? Nov. 30

Cod 23? minimum size. Open all year and 10 fish bay limit

Current fishing regulations are available by calling 631-444-0435 during normal business hours.

Hope this helps.

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
MakoJoe0317 & Crazy Al,,

Thanks For That Information, Appreciated......

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Crazy Al - Thanks for the info. It's hardly ever what you know and always who you know. I looked on websites forever and never was able to find a number to call - Thanks again.

About the hotels - I don't remember the room rates being that bad, but we were up there in early to mid May.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NIGHTSTRIKES, No problem!

Insanity, It's no biggie...

In regards to the room rates - Early Spring - Mid May and Oct- Dec. rates are usually discounted (Off-peak). ;)

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crazy Al, do you know who I should call about both the rooms and the Beach Access. I definitely want to want fish the lighthouse area and Shagawong Pt. Not going to ruff it in the car for 4 days so I'll need a room somewhere but not looking to commit to more than a few days rental.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are several accomondation places to go to? but you might want to call Ann Breyer's Cottages because that?s where many fishers rests between tides. The number is (631) 668-2710. My friend sold the place a few years ago, but the clientele (fishermen) are still satisfied with the new owner?s services and their rustic facilities. Be sure to book early cause that?s what many fishing clubs and groups do.

In the event you need other Montauk assistance.. You can always call the Montauk Chamber of Commerce (631) 668-2428 and I am sure they will be able to assist you.

New York 4 Wheel Drive Fishing Permit
Allows access in designated areas at Gilgo Beach, Cedar Beach, Robert Moses State, Napeague, Hither Hills, and Mountauk Point State parks. Permits are Issued: From January 1st thru April 30th, and again from September 1st to December 31st. For more information you can call Belmont Lake State Park Office (631) 667-5055

Suffolk County Parks
Allows access to the various Suffolk County parks. The Outer Beach Sticker and Green Key allows 4x4 access to Smith Point Park , Cupsogue, Shinnecock Inlet East, Cedar Point Park, and Shagwong Park.
For more call the Suffolk County Park Administration Office at (631) 854-4949

Hope this helps.

?Crazy? Alberto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.