BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heading up to the Mecca this fall? Chime in on your experiences there. I've been going for the last 8 years and love the place. It's a bit of a haul for me but the fishing is not to be beleived.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
896 Posts
LJob
Just a quick question regarding the Point... What general time is it on up there? Or all the time?!?!?!??!!?

·
Registered
896 Posts
LJob
Just a quick question regarding the Point... What general time is it on up there? Or all the time?!?!?!??!!?

·
Registered
896 Posts
LJob

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Was there last year and it was phenominal. Making 1 definate trip this year....maybe 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have been out 3x so far this year. my wife had a 40 lber in july 47 inches the largest striper i have put in the boat last trip i had 1 at 30 lbs. as soon as i pick up my new trailer i will be out there again and probally once a week for the next month or two. truely some of the best striper fishing around.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mericanwit,

The fall run for surf is just gettting started but the sharpies are already consistently catching. As far as boat fishing in September/October plenty of bass and large ones at that. People catch stripers up there all summer

MW,

I have only ever been up there in the fall. But from what I understand the Spring run as well as the summer months are good too. September/October is my favorite time to go. Going up the weekend of 10/24/04 this year. If your doing the surf scene be prepared
#1) Crowds(some of the locals can be nasty if your a goog)

#2) Bring plenty of cash were talking "Hamptons" prices.

#3) Bring Korkers- a must have for the point surf scene.

[ 09-15-2004, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Loop Job ]

·
Registered
729 Posts
30th, 1st and 2nd for me! Cant wait, need to set reservation for economical well located hotel, Ideas Loop?

[ 09-15-2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Forever Night ]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FN,

Try this place. Real close to the Marinas. Short drive to the point lighthouse. Easy access to restaraunts and bars.(we actuaaly walk from the motel). We have stayed here every year. Nothing fancy very reasonable. Definte fishermans lodgings. Originally recommended by our captain who of course is a local.

Good luck,

www.montaukharborside.com

[ 09-15-2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Loop Job ]

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
We are going up Oct 13th. How difficult is it the fish from a boat up there. Are there any things to know when navigating these waters?

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Going up Columbus day weekend with family-any suggestions as to an open boat type charter? May have a morning/evening to go fishing. Staying at the beachcomber resort with the family. May daytrip to block island-never been there either

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
noreast.com is a Montauk based site .
The charter capt that has been getting all those monster bass has his website right over the guys head that got the fish.
think its captmark.net

[ 09-15-2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: FISHNFOOL ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by jc:
We are going up Oct 13th. How difficult is it the fish from a boat up there. Are there any things to know when navigating these waters?
JC - IT CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT - DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS. THE RIPS ARE CRAZY - ROCKS IN CLOSE AND SURF GUYS WHO WILL TRY TO SNAG YOUR ARSE FROM SHORE. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! IM NOT TRYING TO SCARE YA - JUST BEING HONEST.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One more thing about those monster bass that are being caught right now. Most of those bass are being caught on live lined porgies of illegal size(legal in NY is 11"). Defintely an illegal practice but not heavily enforced. Not busting on Capt Mark as a lot of charter captains do it for their clients who want to stack the deck against the Big boys. The problem is that its not great for the fishery and makes it tough for the captains who really know how to fish those rips by bucktailing and dragging eels. This requires alot more know how than just live lining porgys. Just an fyi

Paul

[ 09-16-2004, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Loop Job ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts