BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a follow up to my earlier post, I decided to fish 1/2 day on wednesday 12/28. I chartered a nicely rigged 38 Cabo out of Falmouth, just east of Montego Bay. We had terrific weather, but as some of the responses said to save my money, they were correct. We left the dock at 7:00 am and dropped in the lines in what they call a blue marlin spread just off the beach as it drops from the reef to the abyss in no time. Captain indicated they got a BM the day before so the stage is set. after an hour and not seeing really any signs of life, the mate started changing out the spread, which consisted of some moldcraft wide range, and some typical lure crap (I'm a bait guy) (although more to come) that is used for offshore fishing. I asked the mate, which lure caught the BM the day before, which he just took out of the water. I checked the head, leader and skirt for signs of wear or scratching from the bill. none to be found. In fact, I proceeded to check all the lures & leaders for any evidence that in fact this equipment has had blue marlin chewing on them and guess what? the equipment showed no signs. Leaders were older, and a little whitening due to the sun, not stress, but all in all, the lures appear to be like new condition. :huh: So, a little later on our troll back to the port area, we go by a weed line. Captain did a nice job of staying away so we didn't have to shag. :mad: When we returned to the dock, Captain breaks out the old stories, bla, bla, bla, shows a picture of the supposed catch from the day before, Bla, bla, bla,... so as the story goes, I got taken for a ride, an expensive ride and I should have taken the advice from the Bass Barn colleagues here. on a more positive note, the ride kept me and my son off the beach for 3/4 a day so we didn't have to look at all those beached whales that arrived for our vacation. for you Beach whale watchers, go to Dominican Republic as they have much more attractive beaches.:D

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any day on the water is a good day!!! In Jamaica golf is DEFINITELY better than fishing!
played 2 rounds at Cinnamon Hill Golf Club. Nice course, the tee boxes are a little worn, but you can expect that sort of thing. Apparently Johnny Cashes home is there, as well a James Bond movie was filmed there at the water fall. great ocean holes as well.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Tryall/Trelawny is world renowned.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just got back from fishing 2 days in negril on stanley' s charters for 2 4 hour charters. We were lucky and caught 15 total black fin 10-15 pounders 1 38 pound wahoo and 1 32-35 inch mahi off a weed line. 1 marlin miss and a lost wahoo boat side by me, and 1/2 eaten tuna from a shark. I introduced 12 new people to fishing and watched them all land tuna and wahoo. Dinner was great and we have NEVER not landed fish for our dinner for 30 people in the past 5 years going. Seeing all the kids fighting to grab the lines was great. Only problem now is they want to go again. They all never imagined fishing was so much fun, even for the 2 kids that puked in flat seas. Next years trip might just be way more expensive:thumbsup:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dante, Head first, out of Negril. Stanley's charters. Bring couple lures you like. We brought wahoo lures, and black and purple seem to work well. 46 ft bertram, nice tackle, and friendly. Feb- March is best for marlin! Liz books the trips and they are very reliable. email me if you need Dante.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I wouldn't judge the fishing there based on all. We had a similar issue in St. Lucia. We went out on a old POS boat with the guy who looked like he was about to fall asleep at the helm. We trolled around for 4 hours and caught one cuda. My father booked the guy because he was "cheap".

Back at the dock another boat came in. Customers hopped off all smiles. They disclosed they released 6 "marlin". I am thinking they were probably sailfish.

Either way...the difference between operations in locales like that can be tremendous.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
George... the course to play their is the WHite Witch!! that course is amazing! Cinnamin Hill is nice....that is tigers course when he is their! Maybe we can play this summer when we get blown out!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
George... the course to play their is the WHite Witch!! that course is amazing! Cinnamin Hill is nice....that is tigers course when he is their! Maybe we can play this summer when we get blown out!
I considered White Witch which is at the Ritz Carlton. an extra $85 per round for a hacker like me was not in the cards so to speak.

·
Registered
592 Posts
gumdoc, you think Jamaica is good golf??? Burnt out fairways, and very average golfing at best. Fishing is way better there than golf any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
zac... when have you played the white witch??? hands down one of the best if not the top 3 in the caribbean. Not only a beautiful course with the hills, water side holes, but equally challenging with length and skill. Compares equally in my book to Dye Fore and Teeth of the DOg in DR (which i have played). Heading back to DR in Feb to play the Marichial Golf outing and cant wait to see the newly finished Costa Blanca....right on the water. Greg Norman was there last year but it was only half done.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Tryall is worth the $10,000 J to play a round. If someone plays White Witch, they should do a tour of Rose Hall, interesting stuff.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gumdoc, only played Tryall because we vacation in Negril and we drive by it. I do not go to Islands to play my golf, I play on a couple courses up in Jersey. Grew up on golf courses my whole life, started at 4 and I'm 44 now. Prefer water sports in the islands over average golf courses. I guess it depends on what courses you are use to playing on. Will take your recommendation and try it when we go back next Xmas. Was it windy? We had steady 15-20 mph winds, that has to make the course tuff if it blows all the time. Early was nice but by noon, the winds were strong. Happy holiday and floss and brush 2x daily.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Never been to Negril... yes, the witch is windy.... you can lean into the wind on the first hole(elevated t box) and the wind will prevent you from falling over! Definitely worth the cost of the round. And yes i would prefer to be on the water than in the rough....but you have to do something when it is blowing 20+ and the wind cant hurt my golf game....cant get any worse....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gumdoc, when do you travel to Jamaica? Feb, or March? Please try Negril, best spot in Jamaica. Great beaches, laid back, and try Stanley's charters located next to Sandals and Beaches. Marlin and Wahoo are guaranteed, and blackfin and yellowfin are possible also. I will be going again soon!!!! I need 85 and sunny versus 25 degrees and snowy:D.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.