BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday, September 22, 2004:
New Jersey striper fishermen are now fully under the gun.
The moratorium paperwork has been signed by the secretaries of Commerce and the Interior. It has been passed to the office of the ?National Register? where a backlog will likely prevent it from being published before this coming Monday. There is a slight chance it will be published by Friday ? not likely though.
?The instant it is published, the moratorium goes into effect,? said Kim Kaplan, public relations representative with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Importantly, enforcement will not be applied until ?the public has been properly notified,? said Kaplan.
This does not mean the moratorium will not be in place, it simply means the law requires a period of due notification before legal authorities cite violations. There really isn?t a specific time period for this notification process, though it surely would be a few days.
Kaplan noted that the instant New Jersey signs its new bass laws the moratorium ends.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
jaymann2003
Importantly, enforcement will not be applied until ?the public has been properly notified,? said Kaplan.
This is a Bigger Problem that I orignally
thought..Sure all of us Fishing/Web Junkies
know whats going on...But most of the
General Fishing Public does not...
I just had a call from a good friend fishing
the beach this morning and wasn't sure if he
was able to keep the 31" Bass he just caught.
And If and When the New Regs will be taking
place and if and when the Moratorium might
go into effect..And Apparently that was the
general census down on the Beach over last
weekend.Most People Had No Clue What Was Going
On...

Thanks Jay for Keeping Us Up On This Topic...

[ 09-22-2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not I that I want this to happen but it would be interesting to see what would happen if a Moratorium was in effect. My sense is a lot of folks including myself would continue to fish for stripers and see if the gov't put their $ where their mouth is and police the mess they have created.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by jc:
Not I that I want this to happen but it would be interesting to see what would happen if a Moratorium was in effect. My sense is a lot of folks including myself would continue to fish for stripers and see if the gov't put their $ where their mouth is and police the mess they have created.
JC,

Yeah..we'd most likey all still be fishing! But alot is at steak here other then just cacthing stripers. Alot of businesses(i.e.)(me) will be out a job! It definitly would be some kind of chaos. I don't understand what the hold up is really! Hurry up!

·
Registered
920 Posts
With the moratorium, is the act of fishing for striped bass illegal, or are you simply not allowed to keep the bass that you catch? Might have to target blues for a while :D ----Mike

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by rockdoc:
With the moratorium, is the act of fishing for striped bass illegal, or are you simply not allowed to keep the bass that you catch? Might have to target blues for a while :D ----Mike
RockDoc,
Yes , The Act of Striped Bass Fishing Will Be
Illegal..
You Will Not Be Able To Target Striped Bass
At All/AnyWhere....

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Striper2278
But alot is at steak here other then just cacthing stripers. Alot of businesses(i.e.)(me) will be out a job! It definitly would be some kind of chaos.
Your Right Skip,
The Economical Impact Will Be Heavy Up and
Down The Coast of New Jersey...
Alot of Operations Might Go Out of Business..
Let's Keep Our Heads Up, and Hope Things
Work Out Next Week....

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
Your Right Skip,
The Economical Impact Will Be Heavy Up and
Down The Coast of New Jersey...
Alot of Operations Might Go Out of Business..
Let's Keep Our Heads Up, and Hope Things
Work Out Next Week....
[/QUOTE]
Strikes,

Yeah, I guess that's all we can really do at this point in the game! I'm gonna say my prayers! Thanks!

·
Registered
16,572 Posts
When a moratoruim is declared, it is unlawful for any person-
(1) to engage in fishing for Atlantic striped bass within the moratorium area;

(2) to land, or attempt to land, Atlantic Striped bass that are caught, taken or harvested in violation of paragraph (1);

(3) to land lawfully harvested Atlantic Striped bass within the boundaries of a coastal State when a moratorium applies to that State; or

(4) to fail to return to the water Atlantic striped bass to which the moratorium applies that are caught incidental to harvesting that occurs in the course of commercial or recreational fish catching activities, regardless of the physical condition of the striped bass when caught.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Like I said I hope it doesn't happen. All being said I think its in everyone's best interest to come up w/ regs and prevent a bigger issue.

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
I work for the legislature and I will be there monday morning for the meeting and then for the voting session. As soon as something is voted on I will let the bassbarn know.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
striper2278

This topic brings another interesting question to head-

I know full well that independent business owners (fishing guides or any other business) are not allowed to collect unemployment checks from the government because we own our business. But what is the policy(I wonder) if the government is the cause of our unemployment like in this case?

It is not your fault or mine that we can not operate because of their wrong doing.

Chris Gatley

·
Registered
186 Posts
Originally posted by TSStriper:
I work for the legislature and I will be there monday morning for the meeting and then for the voting session. As soon as something is voted on I will let the bassbarn know.
Waaait a second...

Just to clarify...

Is the moratorium definitely going to go into effect next week, OR is there still a vote that needs to take place deciding if it does or does not go into effect?

...and then, if the moratorium does end "when NJ signs the new bass laws", would it help if we now started directing our efforts/letters towards that getting that done?

[ 09-22-2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: snapper4 ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
If Everything is Timed Right, I believe we will
not have a Moratorium on Striped Bass.
And The New Regs Will Go Into Effect Next
Monday....

Let's Just Hope For No More Suprises...........

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Snapper, it all depends if it gets published through the NOAA, which I don't believe it will before the meeting and voting session on monday morning. I believe our legislature will be in contact with them and that the moratorium will not happen.
The VOTE that I am speaking of is the Senate voting session to pass the new regulations, not a vote for the moratorium. Look at the RJSMITH post in the striped bass forum. I am only assuming from that post that the vote will take place on Monday morning. I will see what else I can find out. If anyone wants to they can call the Office of Public Information @1-800-792-8630 and question them about the Striped bass bill.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts