BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The crew of the powered by guinness finally got back out to see if the blue fin were still around after all the wind and rain. Joined by the man the myth the fly tying legend Frank Mihalic, camera man Jay, and the mad biker/flyfisher Jim, we all had a great knuckle busting time. Once again Capt. Joe did a fine job finding the fish and everyones fly tackle paid the price. Franks buddy Jay documented the whole ordeal so hopefully those who can't take advantage of this tuna bite will still be able to enjoy it, can't wait to see the video. Not sure how long this bite will last, so catch them while you can. JvC

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Jay can take some awesome video. Can't wait to see the footage! Again, great job guys!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Jvc.....all that I can say is WOW!!
...all that I have read about the PBG did not do your girl any justice ;) ! Absolutely the finest craft I had had the pleasure to fish from. At one point, we had 3 and 4 BFT's hooked up to fly rods and and we all worked together as though we had fished together for years. No panic, just doing what we do. It was a great pleasure to fish with you. Captain Joe Hughes is very skilled at his craft of finding fish and getting them to eat. He had a plan and a thorough knowledge of the fish and the area. I hope that everyone had as much fun as I did. A GREAT CREW! Tons of laughs, and all of the help and cooperation in the world...even as I franticly tried to remove a knot from my fly line that was jammed so tight from a tuna run. Captain Joe cut the knot out and knotted the line :cool: so that I could continue to fish with my own tackle :D !
I hate them damn Islanders. Peices of crap
! just kidding. Oh my bloody thumb!
If you have ever wanted to catch big schoolie tuna with 10wt fly tackle, then NOW is your chance! Give Joe Hughes a call at 609-827-3442.
for this once in a lifetime opper :D TUNA :D ty!
Don't wait...just go!
Thanks to Captain and Crew to help me catch my first Bonito and Blue Fin on fly tackle!...in the same day, non the less ;) !

[ 07-30-2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
ps...The BFTs are on the ridges along our entire New Jersey coast right now. Captain Joe's electric chicken CDM did well. Also catching fish were blended hollowfleyes, surf candys, mush mouths, and baby angels.

Don't wait.you've GOT to get in on this fishing before it goes away!

·
Registered
182 Posts
To quote Capt. Joe, happiness IS a bluefin tuna on the fly :D :D Great crew, good times, and one awesome fish. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to fish with you guys and to burn it onto video. I wouldnt have liked to catch my first bluefin with anybody else.

[ 07-30-2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: mrstripes ]

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
...and to think Jay, You had the camera all day long, and the first few castst and you hook up and land our first BFT of the trip! Good for you!!
GREAT DAY!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well gentlemen it was a pleasure to fish with you all...it was a great crew...the only thing better than catching bluefins on the fly is having great people to share the experience with...Jay nice work with the camera...very professional, I cannot wait to see the final product...congrats on your first BFT on the fly guys...I will have my pics developed this week and let you know if you want copies...mayhem with a smile! Thanks again JVC...if fishing keeps up like this there may no longer be any Capt'n Cranky;)...oh and by the way found some BIG dolphin swimming around this week...stay tuned...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Capt. Joe , Thanks again for putting me on the fish. I never had fish stories like the ones I have since I started fishing with you. You really know your #$*%. I also like to thank you for giving me a chance to meet some great people. Also, thanks to Captain and Crew to help me catch my first Bonito and BFT on fly tackle!...in the same day. JVC Beautiful Boat! If you ever want to catch many fish Call Capt. Joe Hughes. I had GREAT fishing everytime I went out with him. I was even trying to travel to MA to striper fish with him when he was up there knowing if I made it up there he would of provided me with another day full of catching fish. Capt. Joe is "THE MAN"

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
flyfishingbiker Welcome to the board.

Guys sounds like you had a great trip. Let me know if there is room on the next one. Ron

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Ron,
I will keep you in the loop if you like.
My line burned fingers and busted up thumb is ready to go another round with the BFT's.
Been inspired at the bench tying tuna flys....

Hummm, I don't know why/

say it with me....
Tuna on 10 weights,
Tuna on 10 weights,
Tuna on 10 weights...

Gotta tie more flys..

[ 08-01-2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Nice fish Frank, Makes me wish my flats boat was bigger. It has to be a real blast. Still waiting to see how long it takes or just how big you can catch on a 10 wt before something goes. It would be worth making the scarifice. Even bonita on the fly is great, they are both real powerhouses.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Ray,
A 10wt has some real power, but some have more than others. My 10 is an Abel, built on an older Powell blank. Lightweight and very powerfull. In my opinion, it is angeler error that destroys most tackle. Oh yea, some rods simply explode, and some reels will blow apart, but for the most part high end equipment will not have these issues. As said, we had 3 fish on almost the whole time. I had a backcast wrap my backing while a fish was far from the boat. I lowered my rod tip a bit, Joe unwrapped the leader, and we were all back to fishing. That was 15 very critical seconds! If I or the crew were unexpereienced, it would have meant lost fish and/ or broken tackle.
These boys are brutes.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Frank, sounds like luck was on your side, and Joes quick thinking and action saved the day. I caught a small yellowfin on 10 wt out at the canyon while going for mahi mahi and it almost took all my backing off the reel. It was bigger than the bluefin and it had over a thousand feet of water to work with. I agree if you relax and let the rod and reel do their job. All it takes is a big one and there would be no amount of pressure you put on it to control it. Hope I can get out for a couple of bluefin before they are gone, but my schedule may not permit it. I will just have to enjoy the exploits of others.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Frank, What kind of boat were you on and how the heck have you been? I was hoping that some day we could get to fish together. My son in law is a big fly fisherman and runs to the canyons often. Would you be interested in making a trip?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Ray,
Good point, my friend!

Tony,
I have been doing very well, thanks! Heck, Bluefin on the fly? I think that means I'm doing great!
I was fishing on the "Powered By Guiness". She is a rigged to the teeth 35 CABO...
I would like to make a trip with you guys. shoot me an email and we will talk about it. Thanks for thinking of me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ray, Frank is right the 10 weights had alot of power. I was using an Orvis battenkill IV, and a BFT was buzzing the line of the reel. The reel was set at full drag. I believe the fish was larger than most that day. It got to the point where it was pulling line of so quickly I added some drag with my palm and the 20# backing couldn't handle it. I put my rod down and Capt. Joe Hughes (The true fishing God) had one of his to me rather quickly and within a minute or so I was fighting another BFT with his 10 wt. I noticed with his 10wt. that it was only set to about 65-70% of the max drag, so I would say the 10wt handled (reel) well.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
It is very hard to watch line peel off your reel and think it might never stop, but with all that line out, it puts a pretty good drag on the fish.
It has been a long time since I have had that experience, I would of loved to of been there. You all had a great experience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts