BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had Mr. Bob (I need to get away) Zola from Salisbury Maryland aboard for an afternoon of Susky Flats action. We quickly got onto the dinks that have provided the recent fun and played with them for a bit. These were no match for Bob and he tired of them quickly.

Bob bravely agreed to set off in search of lone early arriving cow...but it was not to be. We only managed more of the same, but less of them.
Lots of boats out today and we stayed away from them hoping to cross paths with something large, rather than stick with the little guys within the fleet. Someone may have hooked a biggun today, but it wasn't us. Thanks Bob for being a sport about leaving fish to find fish. We'll hook up again and get you a trophy!

[ 03-30-2006, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: capt. ed ]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey capt. Ed are you heading out tomarrow? I am thinking of heading outin my whaler. Do you need a license and if so can you get it online?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Another good day Capt Ed, way to go. Glad you had plenty of action and always a tough call to leave fish for the big ones but you have to give it a try or you'll never know. I bet there are some bigger fish around with the water temps, just have to be lucky to come across a school of them.

My brother was down today and had similar action, I'll be joining him tomorrow and we'll give it a go.

Cows they are not, but still a blast to catch on light tackle. Gonna try some small topwater plugs tomorrow at dusk

Keep up the good fishing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks most of my gear is down the beach but it sounds like they are bitting plastics with a light head? I will just use my trout gear I guess.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
You can either buy a MD Tidal license for yourself or you can buy one for the boat and will cover everyone that fishes on your boat. Out of state is around $15 for 1 person and $40 for the boat license.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I wouldn't run the boat up on plane unless you are sure of the depth in the area you are running. Depending where you are at on the flats, it can literally go from 15' to 1' in a matter of 20 yards or less (far north and western edge of the flats).

If you arent catching, keep moving and trying different lures, techniques depth and look for the cleanest warmest water you can find.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I am thinking of giving this a shot on sunday. It will be my first time fishing the flats by boat.

What boat ramp do you guys think is the shortest run to the productive fishing? We are gonna be in a 14ft aluminum and its not very fast.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Supafly:

Launch from the boat ramp in Elk Neck State Park. Fee is $10 for in-state and $11 for out-of-state. Nicer ramp facilities than the ramp in Charlestown, and a much shorter run to the area where the fish are currently concentrated the highest.

Frmt eh ramp, make a right and head past Turkey point Lighthouse on your right.

You will be fine in a 14 footer as long as the weather is decent, but it can get treacherous when the wind gets howling.

Good Luck!

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks Gr8ful. Sunday is looking good. I just hope it doesnt rain to much saturday and throw off the bite. Im sure it will look like a parking lot out there. This will be more of an exploratory trip for me. After this hopefully I can hit it once or twice during the week.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Went out today to the flats. Sent about 4hrs trying but had no takers. Started on the N/W side then moved over to where everyone else was. Great day on the water even with out the fish, but next time i hope I dont get skunked.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
See my report from today in Capt Eds report. The schoolies that we caught were down cloe to the southern boundry and were hitting the 5" bass assasins pretty good. Strange thing was some times they were only hitting them on a slow retrieve but late in the day they wouldnt hit unless you were really cranking it/twitching it real fast. We picked some up on blue/silver 1/4 oz rattle traps, but other boats around us were getting the every cast at times.

Depending on the direction of the wind, Tydings Park ramp worked for us today since it was blowing up the bay with the south wind and we were protected from land for the most part.

Good luck and wont be long till the big fish move up. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.