BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning/respooling some of my gear today and was wondering what you guys feel is your most durable "old trusty" standby spinning reel that you still use?

I'm not looking for Vaan Staal/ Stella/zero anti-reverse/titanium 20 ball bearing stuff. I'm talkin the meat and potatoes "how the hell does that thing still work after all these years" type reel. The kind that you use yourself but wouldnt think twice about giving to a 6 year old to use.

My spinners are Penn SS, Diawa and Fin Nor. I always liked Daiwa and I have 2 "Black gold" BG20 reels that really have held up to some abuse. They are still my favorites. Good drags, simple old school design, heavy and just plain tough. They have caught hundreds of sea bass, fluke and weakfish, bass and blues, caught loads of mahi under lobster pot markers, been to Florida a few times where they took care of some spanish macs, mangrove snapper and yellowtail.

Anybody else have an old standby?

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Penn 712Z is my standby reel. I won't have my reels back from service for the begining of the season, so I'll be using it for a couple weeks early on. Beat it up pretty hard for years and it's still reliable. Replaced a couple bail springs over the years, but other than that no problems.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Mine, Penn 706Z Manual PickUp and my
Penn SS6500.....Just Had Them Serviced and
Cleaned Last Year and they came out like New.
They been going Strong for over 15 years now...

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I would have to agree with the Penn SS series! I myself don't even own one but have heard nothing but good things about them. Although I've had my Stella for 6 years now & it's still going strong! Just keep up the yearly maintenance on any reel & I'm sure it will last forever!

[ 02-22-2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Striper101 ]

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Penn ss no doubt...Them older mitchell reels are tough too!!!!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I have some old Diawa's that were pretty good but I can not get parts anymore. I have to say The penn ss will last about forever if maintained. I have a few models that were past down to me from my Grandfather. They have had many parts just plain worn out. I have no problem getting parts, and run great.

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
It has to be a Penn Z or SS I hve a Z series that has to be 15 years old and it won't die. I also have a 650ss that is 12 years old and a few 5500ss and 4500ss that are 10 years old.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Fin Nor Ahabs -- low maintenence,
(little wash down)
excellent drag
holds up all year long
Have several Penn SS reels and they sit on the shelf since I started using Fin Nor Ahabs

·
Registered
219 Posts
i cant believe it you guys bragging up penn ss reels :rolleyes: AGAIN these reels are junk between locking up, bent shafts ,loosing all anti reverse, bail springs im sitting here scratching my head . i have had several ss reels and not one has made it to its second birthday(AND I DONT EVEN FISH THE SUDS WHERE IT MIGHT GET DUNKED OR SAND IN IT ) either you guys dont fish or you havnt had to challenge a reel or had to bully a fish these reels are pure CRAP go with diawa bg series or shimano or if you got the coin VS !!!PS anyone want about 5 5500,s and i got 3 6500,s with very low miles only problem is there only good for PARTS !!!!ZOOM

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
Give me a spinning reel and I'll break it! Just the nature of the design when you overload them, which I often do.

Fin Nor Ahab's are tough reels but really heavy. They do hold up, I've only bent a few shafts on them.

I like the Daiwa Hardbody'z alot too.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
zoom, You must of had a couple bad ones, I dont use my penns anymore because the drags are rough on them but for long term durability (over ten years) they seem to hang in there. In the keys the ss series is the only spinning reel You will see used for big game fishing.
Barrell

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Zoom I dont know what you do to them but I take mine apart every year. Fish them on average 40-50 days a year. They are not a precision reel in anyway and are much more refined reels out there. But I dont seem to be able to kill them. I am hard on my equipment but if it starts to act up I fix it. It does not get better if Ignored.

[ 02-23-2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: flukin nuts ]

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
I only buy Penn. I have to agree that they do brake but I take them to Penn and they fix them good as new. The potential is there to have a Penn reel for life.

·
Registered
219 Posts
as bob from ect said he hasnt met a spinner that can handle the abuse he puts on them (drag tight cause you cant let a large take you under the bridge or in the pillings. barrel not just a couple bad ones 7 im serious one i bent the shaft the first time out and on the second fish of the night and it was only a 15#er. flukin these things dont give a warning they just dont either turn or the bail shyts or the drag shyts and as far as maintaince they dont last more then a season i am hoever impressed with the diawa bg (so far)as capt g re-affirmed what i was saying about em !!!esox tell me more about sending them back as far as i know there is no way to straighten a bent shaft to the point the handle wont even turn!!dont get me wrong i love penn just not any SS i have been useing the conv on the bridges more because i cant find a spinner to stand up but as any bridge hopper worth his salt knows there are times when you gotta use smaller jigs and still bully the fish which calls for spinnng !!!ZOOM

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Have penn ss spinners and have had flawless service out of them for the last 15 years or so. Fished them from Alaska to Florida and back...

They get regular use including my kids and their friends with just normal maintenance.

Hardly ever lose a fish due to reel, drag or terminal tackle. Mostly hooks, hooking techniques account for my misses. No...I don't catch that many big tuna, white marlin, sails or 100 pound tarpon on them....but they have landed their fair share of little tunny, stripers, blues, flounder, bonita, dolphin, weakies, salmon, etc....

Tackle is a system from bait to anglers muscles. Have the wrong setup at the wrong time and something might give.

I'm not a pro....but I've been catching a lot of great fish on junkier tackle than my penns through the years....the penns are my high end and have done their job just fine and for the price I can't complain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts