BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the surf this morning with no luck but still have the whole day to fish. Around 9:30 decided to take the fly rod out to brush up on casting skills(which I found out I have none of). Tied on a shrimp pattern fly that I tied myself yesterday, hopped i the truck and headed to a productive flat that I have found. Casted for a while on the south side of it onto some nice grass beds that usually hold a fair amount of nice size trout. Nothing to show for that, then arm starting to wear down and blisters started form so I decided to start working my way back. When bam fish on half way to where I was parked. Scrappy lil guy and put up a pretty good fight, finally got him to me and to my suprise I had a 23" flounder attached to the hook. Needless to say the arm felt better and I forgot all about the blisters. Kept on casting for a while then decided to head home.

Now to get to the most rewarding feeling part.....first fish ever caught on fly rod for me and not only that but it was caught on something I tied myself. Right now I am happier that flies on S^%*. Never really carry the fly rod with me either...still probably going to stick with spinning for the most part. Except when the weather permits I think the long rod will always have a home in the truck.

Oh yeah air temp mid-high 70's , water temp @70-72 degrees.

Florida Rules.......

Till next time

G

·
Nice report,Did ya keep the flounder? Thats a biggun for those parts. ya down there for good or comin' home anytime soon? i'll buy ya a beer at Dadz.
Nick

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Nothing like fighting a nice fish on a flyrod.

First fish and on a fly you tied, great job!

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
When I am down there and on the flats, the only time I do not use the flyrod is when the wi*d is honkin right in my face... wait until you catch your first snook on da fly!

Congrats and welcome to the world of the truly addicted...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts