BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was a website or something where i can find out what horsepower my boat holds up to. It is a 1988 tournament 1800FS Bass Tracker. My boat is at Franzwas and im supposed to look at a motor early tommorow morning

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Itsdashark said:
I was wondering if there was a website or something where i can find out what horsepower my boat holds up to. It is a 1988 tournament 1800FS Bass Tracker. My boat is at Franzwas and im supposed to look at a motor early tommorow morning
If I knew the beam of the boat I could probably get close, but there should be Capacity Plate on it somewhere. If the boat is Alum I'd say 90HP, Glass 115. Those guys at Franzwas know what they are doing. I seriously doubt they will sell you to much engine for the boat.

There is a USCG formula, but it gets into bottom configuration, weight of the boat and then it's tested with different engines to see how it handles a special course they put similar boats through at max speed.

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
SL 5. Maximum Loading and Horsepower​
The State of New Jersey does not have any maximum loading and horsepower requirements
that are in addition to federal regulations. To review federal regulations, refer to the section
on Capacity Plates included in Chapter 1 of this course.​
The following information was approved by NASBLA and is included in Chapter 1 of the
Boater101 Course:
Capacity Plate
It is required for all mono-hull boats under 20 feet built on or after November 1, 1972 to have
a capacity plate approved by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). In addition some manufacturers
voluntarily install capacity plates on boats larger than 20 feet. This plate must be visible from
the operator’s station. The capacity plate lists a safe motor size, the maximum number of
persons to be carried onboard and the total weight the boat can carry including persons,
motor and gear. When operating your boat be sure to adhere to the restrictions listed on the​
3​
capacity plate. Not only is it dangerous to overpower or overload a small boat since they can
swamp or capsize more easily but also illegal. In many states, there are fines and penalties
for exceeding capacity recommendations, including carrying more than the maximum number
of people.
For vessels that are not equipped with a capacity plate, the following formula can be used to
calculate the number of persons (averaging 150 lbs each) the vessel can carry safely in good
weather:​
Number of people = vessel length (feet) X vessel width (feet)
÷ 15

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No franzwas is no trying to sell me the motor. My boat is at there shop getting work done and I am supposed to look at a mtor tommorow morning before they open to find the exact capacity. I was hoping I could find something tonight

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
That's your best bet. That formula won't work for bass boats because you can have an 18' boat with a 4 or 5' beam and a 200hp on the back of it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Itsdashark said:
No franzwas is no trying to sell me the motor. My boat is at there shop getting work done and I am supposed to look at a mtor tommorow morning before they open to find the exact capacity. I was hoping I could find something tonight

What engine are you looking at? HP?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I did a quick google of that model and found some with 115's and two with 150's on them. If you go on nada for that boat it list a 115 for power.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Itsdashark said:
Wow, I'd have to see the boat. Can you post a pic?

If the boat is over 18ft and 7.5ft wide has a decent steering console you are probably safe, but pushing it. At the very least you want 4.2 NFB(No Feed Back) steering system and better yet hydraulic steering. That thing is going to be wild with a 150hp on it.

I'd still have to see a pic of the boat.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats pretty much my boat. same coloor and all. Ill have to get pics once its finished. Any ideas how fast it will go?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts