BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MPA’s now the Law in New Jersey
Say what? Yep. It is a done deal. The New Jersey Ocean Protection Council Act was signed into law.

Background.
We all know (or should) that environmentalists have been trying establish MPAS (I’ll define MPAs for our purposes as areas that are permanently closed to all fishing.) around the country, in both state and federal waters for several years. They have been doing this through attempting to pass new laws or redefine existing laws. Lately, their tactic has been to attempt to redefine fishery management as ocean management, or “ecosystem management”. Another way to look at it is that they are trying to create a new category of management known as Ecosystem management, under which of course, will come fishing. And by their definition, the only way to manage the ecosystem is by establishing MPAs.

What does this law do?
It establishes an Ocean Protection Council. This council is stacked with environmentalists in order to assure they always hold the majority of seats when decisions are to be made. The council will, "Conduct research and implement plans and programs to promote ecosystem-based management."
Of course there are lots of findings in the law that state how terrible everything is and nothing is being done about it.
To read the full law, go to
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bi...00/4332_I1.HTM
Or go to the leg website and search for A4332.

So get ready, gang. I’d love to see this law repealed or amended but chances of that happening are pretty slim here in PRNJ. First permanent closures are by my best guess about 3 or 4 years down the road.

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
You knew when it was going to come to this side of the country it was going to come to the California of the East Coast first :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CaptG said:
You knew when it was going to come to this side of the country it was going to come to the California of the East Coast first :rolleyes:
It did'nt have to. The only group to show up at first and oppose it was GSSA. JCAA did later at the last minute but it was too late and they did a really bad job, IMHO.

NJOA said they were not interested.

The fishing press ignored it.

This could have been fought off.

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
egghead said:
It did'nt have to. The only group to show up at first and oppose it was GSSA. JCAA did later at the last minute but it was too late and they did a really bad job, IMHO.

Oh, i definitely think it could/should have been fought off. Where's that representation I've been contributing to for 20 years at when you need them?

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CaptG said:
Oh, i definitely think it could/should have been fought off. Where's that representation I've been contributing to for 20 years at when you need them?
I dunno. Ask them.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have heard mumbles about this but if this is true and it was signed into law, I feel a little betrayed for not hearing about it a little more. By whom I was betrayed I cant really put a finger on.

RyanF

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In another forum, this question was asked," Does anyone have any idea what areas they are looking to close?"

Based on the CA experience and the types of areas the enviros want, and what they believe is politically easiest, here is my best guess list of some of the first targets.

Mouth of Maurice River or Dennis Creek.
Higbee beach/parts of rips
CISP
Kuma Lumps
Parts Great Bay/Wreck Inlet
Parts of IBSP, in particular the sedge bank areas
Shrewsbury Rocks
Back of Sandy Hook

And generally, they are only interested in areas where there are fish. Also, they will probably want to create some artificial reefs exclusively for them to study.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RyanF said:
I have heard mumbles about this but if this is true and it was signed into law, I feel a little betrayed for not hearing about it a little more. By whom I was betrayed I cant really put a finger on.

RyanF
What amazes me is how no one is talking about it. JCAA testified against it at the Senate Hearing in November, but no mention of it in their newsletter.

Nothing in the fishing press. Probably sometime within the next year, the process will begin. What are Geiser and Ristori going to do? Ignore it out of embarrassment for missing the entire story?

·
Registered
576 Posts
In 25 words(small) or less could someone explain to me what this means. I got through school on football. Thanks in advance.:confused:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
egghead said:
The only group to show up at first and oppose it was GSSA. JCAA did later at the last minute but it was too late and they did a really bad job, IMHO.

Where were you when these bills were being debated in Committee? I was there when GSSA, JCAA and NJCDC all testified against the Senate bill back in November. Where were you?

BY the way, you are near two months late. The Govenor signed the NJ Coastal and Oceans Protection Council legislation into law back on January 13th.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Seaker said:
In 25 words(small) or less could someone explain to me what this means. I got through school on football. Thanks in advance.:confused:
While billions of dollars in debt the NJ Legislature is spending $75,000.00 on a new Coastal and Ocean Protection Council. Similar to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council in that the new COP Council members will be appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate. What is an obvious power play is that there will only be two members of the COP Council from user groups, one commercial fisherman and one recreational fisherman. The other four “public members” will all be enviros. Here is the URL for a “pamphlet law” version:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/PL07/288_.HTM

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
Looks like NJ's Liberal Gov't is rearing it's ugly head here sooner than anyone thought. Man, does it suck to be a sportsman from NJ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
egghead said:
In another forum, this question was asked," Does anyone have any idea what areas they are looking to close?"

Based on the CA experience and the types of areas the enviros want, and what they believe is politically easiest, here is my best guess list of some of the first targets.

Mouth of Maurice River or Dennis Creek.
Higbee beach/parts of rips
CISP
Kuma Lumps
Parts Great Bay/Wreck Inlet
Parts of IBSP, in particular the sedge bank areas
Shrewsbury Rocks
Back of Sandy Hook

And generally, they are only interested in areas where there are fish. Also, they will probably want to create some artificial reefs exclusively for them to study.
There are already MPAs here in NJ. I have already discussed this (ad nausea) with Mr. Fishpicker in another thread. You can find them by doing some research on:

http://www.mpa.gov/

As for new artificial reefs, the enviros will have to get in line with the commercials!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Two years ago I was installing a large custom kitchen ($180K) in the Capemay show house.During the install and @ the open house party I would always ask the people ,I knew were local , about the fishing and spots etc.etc.. I was amazed @ what I heard. Many were down right pissed about it. When I brought up fall SB in the ripps, I was told that a group was being formed to stop /limit the fishing because, and I quote ,"so we do not have to look at all those boats ruin our veiw".
At the time I thought that mentality was so ridiculous I kind of laughed in their faces, but now I realize that this is all part of a bigger plot.
Time to join a few more orgs. devoted to preserving our rights.
We need an National Outdoor Association mirrored on the NRA.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
CaptG said:
Looks like NJ's Liberal Gov't is rearing it's ugly head here sooner than anyone thought. Man, does it suck to be a sportsman from NJ :rolleyes:
Yeah I am at the bottom of the totem pole. A young white male sportsman.

RyanF

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
CaptG said:
At the rate that the Governors office is appointing people, the enviros have a long wait. Corzine's Office finally announced appointments for the NJMFC public at large positions yesterday. One of the positions has been vacant for nearly three years. I know, I was nominated for it back in 2005. My letter of acknowledgement from the Governor’s Office was signed by then Acting Governor Codey.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
njdiver said:
At the rate that the Governors office is appointing people, the enviros have a long wait. Corzine's Office finally announced appointments for the NJMFC public at large positions yesterday. One of the positions has been vacant for nearly three years. I know, I was nominated for it back in 2005. My letter of acknowledgement from the Governor’s Office was signed by then Acting Governor Codey.
After reading the bill, some comments here and other places, I think they will be up and running quite soon. The background agenda for the COP is very different from NJMFC.

B W 21, I thought most people liked looking at boats on the water, except maybe for that crying lady at the end of the Red Knot special.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Bravo Whiskey 21 said:
Two years ago I was installing a large custom kitchen ($180K) in the Capemay show house.During the install and @ the open house party I would always ask the people ,I knew were local , about the fishing and spots etc.etc.. I was amazed @ what I heard. Many were down right pissed about it. When I brought up fall SB in the ripps, I was told that a group was being formed to stop /limit the fishing because, and I quote ,"so we do not have to look at all those boats ruin our veiw".
At the time I thought that mentality was so ridiculous I kind of laughed in their faces, but now I realize that this is all part of a bigger plot.
Time to join a few more orgs. devoted to preserving our rights.
We need an National Outdoor Association mirrored on the NRA.
NJOA is a start.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
njdiver said:
Where were you when these bills were being debated in Committee? I was there when GSSA, JCAA and NJCDC all testified against the Senate bill back in November. Where were you?

BY the way, you are near two months late. The Govenor signed the NJ Coastal and Oceans Protection Council legislation into law back on January 13th.
I was at sea for the second hearing. You, nor anyone except GSSA was at the first. At not only that, but I am not a self-annointed guardian or reporter on NJ fish issues. You are.

I know when it was signed. I finally got around to posting about it.

Where were you? Too busy promoting pots on reefs clap-trap? When were you going to inform people? Did you try to prevent this bill from being signed or were you too busy patting yourself on the back for pots on reefs nonsense? Or were you too embarassed to admit your enviro buddies screwed us and now you are trying to make it out like you knew what you were doing and what was happening all along? Do you dare say that you and Fote did not screw up big time?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts