BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Captn. Gene suggested a mushmouth fly for BFT anyone have any pics or tying suggestions?

Thanks,

Good Rainy day project.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I tied some mushies up after work yesterday and I found it was easier to make them out of 100% angel hair. Forget about the spine of super hair. That's one extra step that's not needed, at least for the smaller flies. For the mega-mushy, yes, it's needed. Anyway, tie in the two clumps of angel hair on top and bottom (a pearl bottom and rainbow top looks awesome), then soak Soft Body or Softex into the angel hair around the hook. While it's still wet, push the tag ends of angel hair back over the top and bottom (like he does in the tying instructions), then tie off the head and trim to shape. I was using one (about 3") last night for two hours straight and it didn't foul once. And it looks great in the water with a nice slow "dying minnow" jigging motion because of the epoxy head. I'm going to tie up a ton of them for the fall. They take about 5 minutes to complete (not counting the epoxy for the head/eyes, if needed at all). I also tied one out of slinky fibre/angel hair blend, which holds it's shape better and makes a better peanut imitation.

And yes, Skok is a funny dude :D . Really young, too.

[ 07-27-2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very innovative tier. Highly recommend his tying classes! Great outlook on the whole industry.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I don't know about innovative. I just try and find shortcuts :D . Innovative would be inventing the fly in the first place...

I saw Dave Skok do a presentation at an ASWF mtg last year. He was a riot and really upbeat. A lot of the older folks in there didn't get half his jokes (which made them that much funnier!). It was pretty cool seeing someone my own age with that much saltwater fly fishing experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I meant that Skok was innovative... :rolleyes:

I worked at the Fairfield Fly Shop in CT last summer. Skok had grown up in Ffld and used to work at the shop. He would stop in quite frequently and give us nuggets of wisdom at the tying table. Travels with his canoe and push pole strapped to his roof "just in case."

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Then we agree. He invented the fly, he's the innovative one :D . I just misread your post and mentally added a comma where there wasn't one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts