BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something i have used for the last 2 years on or 30' Albemarle Express and has served us well. Just wanted to share!

Advantages

How many times have you clipped that bungee on your halyard pulley to the gunnel at the right tension only to find 2 weeks later your mono and/or bungee has stretched and now needs adjustment? How many times have you said "Man, this halyard has too much slack now that the outrigger is down." or "Crap, now the halyard is too-tight now that we put the riggers back up and its bending the rigger tips?"

This eliminates JUST that and more.

How about when you are running a big squid or GM spreader bar and all your halyards seem like they are flopping in the breeze from all that pull?

Tighten it up with this system.

First and foremost, you will need:

-2 Hal-Lock Pulley Rigs of your choice (single, double, or triple)
www.alltackle.com

-Maybe 10' of 3 Strand 1/4" Dockline Low (small enough to fit through the lance cleat listed below)

-2 Lance Cleats
www.westmarine.com

Instructions

1) With a wire cutter, snip off the snap that comes on the end of the hal-lock bungee attached to the ring. LEAVE THE RING.

2) Take maybe 3' of the low diameter nylon dock line and loop splice one end of it to the ring on the Hal-Lock. If you don't know how to splice, have an old salt at the dock do it for in exchange for a cold one.

3) Now, take your Lance cleat and mount it on the gunnel with self-tappers IN PRE-DRILLED HOLES SEALED WITH A SMALL AMOUNT OF SILICONE. I know self-tappers are the devil but sometimes you have no choice. Mount where you would NORMALLY clip your halyard pulled rig to. you want to mount this so line is pulled OUTBOARD and to tighten it you pull the tag in INBOARD.

4) Feed the free end of the nylon line through the jam cleat, make a knot in very end of the free end so it can't slip through the jam cleat.

5) Rig your mono halyards through the pulley already attached to the jam cleat. Give yourself enough room on the rope to adjust in the cleat. You want to be able to pull it tight in the lance cleat without running out of rope but don't want it so loose that you need to reach 3 ft. out when the riggers are deployed.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ditch all the stuff on the gunnels and drill a hole through them. Put your lock under for a much cleaner look. Id also get rid of the bungie and splice a line on the bottom of your hal-locks. The Canyon Club seels the sleeves for the holes in your gunnels. Viking, Hatteras, etc has been doing this for years.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good idea, but on some boats there is no room to go underneath the gunnels. I have seen that system before.

On our boat where the halyard meets the gunnel, underneath the gunnel is a livewell.

The only reason i don't go rope right to the hal-lock is you want that little bit of bungee for shock absorption. The Nylon also tightens when it gets wet and dries, so when you stow the riggers at the dock...with just nylon...it will tighten itself while sitting.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was down in North Carolina recently and learned that the locals called offshoreone's method the "Hatteras Rig." Looks like a nice clean and simple way of rigging. Most of the boats I looked at with this rigging setup also also had the chrome (or stainless?) sleeves on the gunwales. I was told that Hatteras brand boats have been using this method for many years.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tuna Man said:
I was down in North Carolina recently and learned that the locals called offshoreone's method the "Hatteras Rig." Looks like a nice clean and simple way of rigging. Most of the boats I looked at with this rigging setup also also had the chrome (or stainless?) sleeves on the gunwales. I was told that Hatteras brand boats have been using this method for many years.
Yup! They call it a "hause sleeve" I believe. This is just a way to do it for people who don't have room under their gunnels for the rig.

I also REALLY like the hal-locks for mono halyards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts