BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Nice fish man. That was a awesome run off you had in the beginning.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Awesome fish!!! I caught a few small ones handlining in the keys a few years ago... they sure fight like crazy. The big ones are awesome to see underwater too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I got it in "05" when I went for my class reunion. I just changed the title. For those of you who are trying to bust my balls, BLOW ME. You guys don't know anything about the catch. And if it is so bad to take them out of the water then hows come I have seen many TV shows where they remove them from the water to remove the hook and such. The fish was released very quickly and unharmed. If you read the link above it says that "Removing smaller goliaths from the water to remove hooks is not necessarily a bad practice". If you knew about goliath Grouper a #350-#400 Goliath isan't a big one. I used to live in Florida and graduated high school down there and I am pretty sure I knew the laws then alot better than you. I mean shoot, if you guys want to be d-ick's I just won't post anything else on this site. Every time I post up a pic or something people start to bust my nuts. I post in the Freshwater forum and all I get is crap, I post in the Offshore forum and all I get is crap. What's up with this site?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is one of the spots I dive at. I have about 10 other spots I dive like this. Now if they were struggiling to survive and reproduce then why are they everywhere down there? How many Grouper or snapper do you see in this pic? You know why you don't see any, cause the Goliaths ate them all. I dive a barge down there that used to be loaded with all kinds of fish. Over the years you could notice the fish disappering cause the Goliaths were eating them. I would shoot a fish and the Goliaths would eat the fish right off the end of my spear. Last I heard they were going to make some kind of season for them.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Thanks guys. I got it in "05" when I went for my class reunion. I just changed the title. For those of you who are trying to bust my balls, BLOW ME. You guys don't know anything about the catch. And if it is so bad to take them out of the water then hows come I have seen many TV shows where they remove them from the water to remove the hook and such. The fish was released very quickly and unharmed. If you read the link above it says that "Removing smaller goliaths from the water to remove hooks is not necessarily a bad practice". If you knew about goliath Grouper a #350-#400 Goliath isan't a big one. I used to live in Florida and graduated high school down there and I am pretty sure I knew the laws then alot better than you. I mean shoot, if you guys want to be d-ick's I just won't post anything else on this site. Every time I post up a pic or something people start to bust my nuts. I post in the Freshwater forum and all I get is crap, I post in the Offshore forum and all I get is crap. What's up with this site?

Ken, I was not trying to be a dick. Continue to post away.
I was simply trying to save you the now almost inevitable call from Florida Fish and game.
I am glad you know the laws better than the rest of us dicks.
I tried to be very measured in my response. I also realize that the authorities actually monitor sites such as this and Youtube and I was simply trying to be helpful.
If you don't want crap for posting....quit posting crap ! :)

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
ken ease up

the guys were just giving you a heads up so you could take the video of yourself breaking the law off of the internet...

no ball breaking keep the post coming.

"The skeletal structure of large Goliath grouper cannot adequately support their weight out of the water without some type of damage. If a large goliath is brought on-board a vessel it is likely to sustain some form of internal injury. Thus, if the fish is harmed it could be considered harvested by definition. Removing smaller goliaths from the water to remove hooks is not necessarily a bad practice, but this process must be done with care, using proper fish handling techniques, and as expeditiously as possible"

this is refering to goliaths that you can hold. no fish that need to be gaffed

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If that's breaking the law then Rollin Martin better watch out cause he did it on national TV. Heck I think that they were going after them today on WFN. A gaff hole in the bottom lip don't hurt those fish. You act like I gaffed it in the side or in the gills.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Isn't the law on the goliaths relatively new? I thought that it was only 4-5 years old. Maybe I am wrong but I really thought that the ban on them wasn't that old.

Ken, relax, Pro's post was genuine, the one below it was a shot and deserved of your retaliation. Nice catch, thanks for sharing. PS. Roland Martins show with him and the other older gent does have a disclaimer in the beginning
about when it was filmed I believe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice fish

Hey Ken that was a hell of a nice catch, but if I may do a little backtracking when i was in florida in the 70,s we used to catch a LOT of jewfish aka. goliath in the canals in the backwaters of Siesta Key and Sarasota , many a day we would go afer dinner and flop out a pinfish or some other bait and catch them from 75 to 300 lbs. And we used to fish them to catch then 6 0 penns 100lb mono 200 to 300 lb leader and we did well, never kept any but we had a ball, once again good catch Brant:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Isn't the law on the goliaths relatively new? I thought that it was only 4-5 years old. Maybe I am wrong but I really thought that the ban on them wasn't that old.

I think they put it into effect in 06. I cant be positive on that though. Ken, I was in the keys in 04 and remember the big goliath grouper being schooled all over in 20 feet of water.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Saltwater_Regulations_GoliathGrouperCatchRelease.htm
Why would you gaff that fish in the mouth and pull it on board and let it slap on the deck of the boat. It seems you can remove it from the water but you should read more as explained by ZAR it cannot support its own weight, the Bahamas have the right approach.

Don’t post stuff like that and not expect to get hammered on it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If that's breaking the law then Rollin Martin better watch out cause he did it on national TV..
He (and several others) did get in trouble for airing that on TV or putting pics in magazines.

Heck I think that they were going after them today on WFN. A gaff hole in the bottom lip don't hurt those fish. You act like I gaffed it in the side or in the gills.
Gaffing a fish in the mouth and pulling it onboard can cause tears in the mouth which can become infected. Additionally, gaffing a fish in the mouth that rely on a suction method (like tarpon, goliaths) to feed can affect their feeding.

Lastly, as stated before, pulling a large fish out of the water can cause internal damage (especially by the mouth with gaffs) and ultimately kill the fish. With a protected species, you shouldn't remove them from the water to ensure the best possible release.

Again, nice fish though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.