BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swims real good, just need to keep working on getting them to go deeper. This one only gets down about a foot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Looks really nice joe. I've carved some of my own poppers but I'm not sure what kind of paint and sealant to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheProf,

By no means am I an expert, but I have read allot of information prior to undertaking this venture/new hobbie.

After everything is sanded to where I like it, I use Mixwax sanding sealer to fill the poors. I have read allot of guys use 60% boiled linseed oil/40% mineral spitits. They dunk the plug for about a minute and then let dry for 5 - 7 days. I am not that patient.

Then I sand lightly with 180 grit and use a spray on Primer from Rustoleum.

Paint with Rustolum spray can gloss enamel, then coat with clear spray on enamel. Some guys paint on 30 minute two ton epoxy for their final protective coat (Note you need a drying motor to do this). I guess I will continue to use the method I am using now until it fails, then reconsider.

Can't wait to get an airbrush. Then the painting will be much easier and better.

Joe

[ 01-08-2006, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Makojoe0317 ]

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Joe, get in the surf plug contest. Lots of good, informative posting going on there. Show 'em you pics.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking that, but read other places that you should actually move the eyelet forward, on the lip if possible to get more depth. I will definitely give it a try on a prototype.

I bought a couple pre-drilled plugs from NJT, my only hesitation is I don't have the proper tools to do the paint.

[ 01-08-2006, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Makojoe0317 ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Joe, what kind of wood are you using? If you're using something like cedar, pine, or basswood, your plug will be much higher in the water column. Trying finding something that is harder and denser, like a maple or walnut. They might be a bit harder to carve, but they should give you the extra weight that you need to get the plug down. You could also drill some holes and add some weight, but that might kill some of the action.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The plug looks great. You can experiment with using a stainless steel lip in a slot under the chin. This will allow you to adjust the depth and swim of the lure.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Excellent work Joe, looks killer to me, if it swims anything like a Redfin or BomBer a 1' depth should be fine especially in the backbays at night...

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Looks great. How long did the whole process take?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts