BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying I love the Barn.:thumbsup: I belong to a few message boards and this one is hands down my favorite.

I have been lurking around the barn for the past year mostly just reading the offshore forum and the more I read the more I want to be part of the blue water fishing scene. I have been inshore fishing and boating my entire life, but not until last year when I caught my first BFT at last seasons no so secret spot(approx 75lbs) on a under matched jigging outfit (saltist 30h/trevla 6'6'' M)that I realized were my energy, focus, attention, and efforts would be placed.:eek:

I'm working out the details necessary to facilitate my quest. Upgrading my jigging tackle (thanks Kilsong), preparing my rig (23' cc F225) with the necessary safety equipment (radar and epirb), and ultimately the nerve to begin poking my head out a little bit at a time to gain the necessary experience to ultimately reach my goal of fishing the Glory Hole with some level of confidence and trust me I am in no real rush to get out there believe you me. I have no problem paying to go out on an open boat charter or even filling a seat and splitting the cost with a fellow barner.

Planning and forecasting is what I do for a living and so far its been pretty good (knock on wood), so with that said I'm going to start my efforts off by targeting the 20 mile line with my main focus on these specific points of structure: monster ledge and surrounding western edge of the Mudhole, Shark River Reef, Manasquan ridge, and Barnegat Ridge. The species I am interested will be Bonito, Spanish Macks ,albies, and skipjacks. :fighting:My main tactic will be trolling, jigging, and some form of bait fishing. At present I feel pretty confident in my boating, jigging, and baiting skills. I do not however feel very confident in my trolling skills since I always found it boring to do so, but it seems to me that this is one of the more effective techniques of connecting and locating schools of fish. So my first set of questions:

Clark spoons, read a lot about them. Seems to me that 0,00, and 1 size seem to be the ticket trolled on a leader connected to a trolling drail. My question is how long a leader? Some captains on this board say 20' while others say 20''. What pound? Mono or Floro? How far behind the boat? How heavy of a drail? I’m thinking my heavier striper tackle calcutta 400's,saltist 30's, Avet MXL all filled with 65lbs braid matched to MH 7'0 rods will handle this application.

Planer boards.:huh: I understand how they work, but what size's and how heavy can I go with the above tackle? How much line how deep will it go? I have read about having a dedicated XXXH rod used to just get the planer down then attach a 2 way swivel to a rubber band to another rod with the actual lure? But how do you actual get the lure down to the planner? Or should you attach the planner to the stern cleat? Again how much rope? Is there a tangle hazard to the screw? In both cases how are you going to attach the lure line to the planner? This seems to be the most overwhelming, any help would be really appreciated.

I look forward to picking your brains and hopefully building some relationships through this learning endeavor. Thanks for all your constructive criticism.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm not going to touch any of the safety stuff as that has been beaten to death and many have different opinions. That being said I normally fish on a 23ftr with a single ob (brand spankin new:thumbsup:) so I can relate.

First off, the only time we troll with braid is inshore for albies with two rods when they wont eat flies or small tins on spinning gear. Otherwise it's mono all the way. Two many bad things can happen with 5 rod spread full of spectra and many will agree. My advice would be to put a short topshot of 20lb mono on your existing reels but thats open for discussion.
That being said be wary of the BFT as they were within 20 miles basically all summer and fall not just at the secret spot. So we usually run 4 tld 25's and a 30w on the shotgun.
Trolling is an art more than a science. You have to tinker with it constantly. Trolling should not be boring because you should not go more than 10 minutes without tinkering with something whether its changing something out, dropping back a bit further, changing speed or direction, etc. Otherwise you will never learn a thing. Besides a hot jig bite nothing beats controlled chaos when you get a few knockdowns on the troll.

All my leaders are around ten feet of either 80# to 120# mono depending on the lure. 80 on jap feathers and clark spoons and 120 for ballyhoo rigs, cedar plugs, etc. Why, I don't know but it has worked so far. I do have 20 ft on a few ballyhoo rigs that I run behind heavy drails. Why, because someone told me and it worked once so I stuck with it.

Speaking of drails, I have everthing from 2oz to 20 oz. Depending on the water condition I usually use 6oz drail for the clark spoons tight off the transom in the clean water. We don't mess with planers and use the poor mans version. I will drag ballyhoo with a 20oz drail off the corner to get it deep. As I said it worked once so I stuck with it.
Even if your plan is to fish for the smaller pelagic species always have at least one ballyhoo in the spread. Pick up a few Offshore Custom Tackle skirted ballyhoo pin rigs, pack of medium ballyhoo, and some kosher salt. It's a joke how easy they are to rig.

In comparison to many in the offshore forum I'm fairly new to the game but between all the charters, open boats, and private runs I tried to be a sponge and soak up as much as I could. Both Shore Catch and Canyon Runner have seminars for a small fee considering how much we spend on the sport. I'll be at the Shore Catch seminar but away for business for the AC Boat Show CR seminar. Also, use the search feature on the Barn and you can pull up more information about trolling spreads to cure some winter blues. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Pete,

How far back are are you pulling your spoons on the average?

I was looking to pick up 2-3 tld25's but was still researching there capabilities with regards to handling BFT up to 150 lbs? I currently have to OKUMO 50w but I think they might be a little overkill.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Thanks Pete,

How far back are are you pulling your spoons on the average?

I was looking to pick up 2-3 tld25's but was still researching there capabilities with regards to handling BFT up to 150 lbs? I currently have to OKUMO 50w but I think they might be a little overkill.
There is a big difference in tactics and tackle if you plan on fishing for 100+lb bft as opposed to mixed bag with the occasional bft. For us the 25's make it sporting for smaller pelagics and challenging for bft. As Zar said they will not handle 150lb bft. It would be fun to watch one get dumped in 20 seconds though:D.
The spoons are pulled around 30ft flatlined with a rubber band from the transom. Depends on the boat, tabs up wherever the clean water is.

You got mail.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good thread keep it going! Not to hijack your thread but I am also new to the offshore game. Me and my dad run a 23' key west cc with a 225 yamaha 4 stroke so this thread is helping us get some knowledge. We run out of barnegat and this info is very helpful.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good thread keep it going! Not to hijack your thread but I am also new to the offshore game. Me and my dad run a 23' key west cc with a 225 yamaha 4 stroke so this thread is helping us get some knowledge. We run out of barnegat and this info is very helpful.

JJ,

What inlet out of barnagat are you running from? I have a house in Sea Side park and will be doing most of my B ridge fishing in August. For the most part I am also a father son team:D me being the son.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tommy,

in short, you can end your research on TLD25's right here. as they flat out will not handle bluefin up to 150#....

invest in some quality 50w and 80w reels if you want to get serious.

Zar so the two okumo 50 w should be more then enough? I also have a Pen 4/0, do you think this will handle this caliber of fish in question? If all goes well and my comfort level and knowledge move forward. I believe a trip to locations such as the glory hole and lobster claw can hold this type of class fish. On a side note I am also planning a trip to MA in the fall where I know these types of fish are more common. So for the most part would you say a tld25 can handle say fish up to 75lbs?

·
Registered
455 Posts
JJ,

What inlet out of barnagat are you running from? I have a house in Sea Side park and will be doing most of my B ridge fishing in August. For the most part I am also a father son team:D me being the son.
We run out of barnegat inlet our shore house is in waretown which is a straight shot across the bay. For Christmas I got a few Clark spoons skirted lures feathers and cedar plugs to start our offshore lure collection. When I went out with one of our neighbors last summer used mostly Clark spoons and feathers and did very well. Can't wait to try it on our on boat this coming summer.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Zar so the two okumo 50 w should be more then enough? I also have a Pen 4/0, do you think this will handle this caliber of fish in question? If all goes well and my comfort level and knowledge move forward. I believe a trip to locations such as the glory hole and lobster claw can hold this type of class fish. On a side note I am also planning a trip to MA in the fall where I know these types of fish are more common. So for the most part would you say a tld25 can handle say fish up to 75lbs?
tommy,

a tld 25 would be sporting on a bft of the 50# class , i would not expect to successfully land fish in the 100-200# range with that tackle. okuma 50w should be fine although there are better manufactures, if you have it make them work :thumbsup: , maintain the drags and you should be fine.

for bluefin over 75lbs and up you are going to want 50# class tackle and 150-200# bluefin 80# tackle is better suited.

prepare to see fish at the lobster claw this year in excess of 200#

·
Registered
577 Posts
If your going to drag spoons I'd highly recommend working a few drone spoons in size 3 1/2 in silver or white into your spead. Everything that eats clarks will eat them and also gets the attention of the bigger fish in the area. Get a small high speed planer and play around with it instead of a drail on one of your rods. Planers are deadly and the smallest ones will work fine on your setups.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What jigs would be best when trying to jig up some bonita and false albacore?crippled herring, smaller diamond jigs, avas, bucktails?
I've caught on butterflies too so don't count them out. The good thing is you can catch on light tackle. We use tld 20 and 25 and have luck with them but I fish close in and my budget is not 1000.00 each rod. I get tuna and bonita but I fish for small, last year we got a custom made by Fish Poison and run an Avet 40W on it. I don't pretend to load my boat with 100lb tuna but we have fun. See you out there. By the way we got ALOT of info from the guys at NJ Angler.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
tommy,

a tld 25 would be sporting on a bft of the 50# class , i would not expect to successfully land fish in the 100-200# range with that tackle. okuma 50w should be fine although there are better manufactures, if you have it make them work :thumbsup: , maintain the drags and you should be fine.

for bluefin over 75lbs and up you are going to want 50# class tackle and 150-200# bluefin 80# tackle is better suited.

prepare to see fish at the lobster claw this year in excess of 200#
Zar do you think Penn 6/0 a better reel? What manufacture would be considered mid grade to the fancy gold reals?

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
you may want to try and pick up a couple used internationals or maybe some tigras....its not always about the gear but zar is dead on when he says that these bigger bluefin can put a real beating on your gear real fast if you dont have the right stuff...not to mention that if you fight the fish toooo long the mortality rate goes wayyyy up on released fish..

·
Registered
465 Posts
As my father (GlennSr.) said, we fish mainly for small tuna and the other list of pelagics in our area. We have great fun using TLD 20s and 25s. Have caught brown sharks (6ft) and tuna (30lbs) on the 20s and they are plenty strong and plenty of capacity. All spooled with either 30 or 40 lb mono. They are so much lighter and more comfortable to fish then an aluminum framed reel.
Don't be fooled, last year was the first, hopefully not the last, tuna were in numbers with in the Mudhole. Most days you will be targeting 6 pound bonita.
As far as planers go, we use the seastrike high speed planer and planer kit. Works great, this will give you enough to get starter http://www.seastriker.com/downloads/highspeedplanerkit.pdf
and
http://www.seastriker.com/downloads/clark.pdf
We also have a larger planer when we are in the deeper +120 ft water.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
SIMPLE !!!!!

Thanks this is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I think its going to be great to be able to attach light tackle to the planner to get some serious action. I have to get back to my friend Alan to see what we were using this past summer on a trip to the glory hole. I could of sworn we were using TLD30's and were getting the job done quite easily with fish up to 75 lbs.

One quick question and concern. Do you run the planner using an outboard and are there concerns on catching the line in the prop.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.