BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing delivery. Erie,Pa to Lanoka Harbor, NJ.
My first time through the Erie Canal. Which is quite changeling.
A total of 16 bridge openings and 36 locks. Also, there was a lot of debris in some of the of the legs between locks and on the upper Hudson River, requiring constant alertness.
Quaint old towns along the way.
We left Erie one day before storms hit that area causing heavy rain and high seas in lakes Erie and Ontario.
We ran from Erie to Buffalo and entered the canal from there rather than take the Wellan Canal at Niagra Falls and across Lake Onterio due to the impending weather.
We had mostly cloudy conditions except for one morning. Heading east we had the sun in our eyes and were unable to see at times.
Also, it was so calm the trees were reflected on the water making it difficult to ascertain the edges of the water.
We dropped over 500’ from Lake Erie to the Hudson.
In the locks with large drops the wind would pick up as the water drops. Nature does abhor a vacuum.
It’s a great trip if you can make it but there are many challenges.

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
Amazing delivery. Erie,Pa to Lanoka Harbor, NJ.
My first time through the Erie Canal. Which is quite changeling.
A total of 16 bridge openings and 36 locks. Also, there was a lot of debris in some of the of the legs between locks and on the upper Hudson River, requiring constant alertness.
Quaint old towns along the way.
We left Erie one day before storms hit that area causing heavy rain and high seas in lakes Erie and Ontario.
We ran from Erie to Buffalo and entered the canal from there rather than take the Wellan Canal at Niagra Falls and across Lake Onterio due to the impending weather.
We had mostly cloudy conditions except for one morning. Heading east we had the sun in our eyes and were unable to see at times.
Also, it was so calm the trees were reflected on the water making it difficult to ascertain the edges of the water.
We dropped over 500’ from Lake Erie to the Hudson.
In the locks with large drops the wind would pick up as the water drops. Nature does abhor a vacuum.
It’s a great trip if you can make it but there are many challenges.
What did you move John? A Henriques or something else. I moved a 38 foot sailboat from Riverside to Cape May. That was a lot of work but fun especially the sail across the bay with the spinnaker out with a stiff southwest wind and a rough bay. How far was your longest delivery?

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did you move John? A Henriques or something else. I moved a 38 foot sailboat from Riverside to Cape May. That was a lot of work but fun especially the sail across the bay with the spinnaker out with a stiff southwest wind and a rough bay. How far was your longest delivery?
42 Henriques express.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My longest delivery was a 42 Henriques from Lanoka Harbor to Cancun Mexico.
When I was Captain on a 42 we went from Puerto Rico to Barnegat Light on her own bottom.
Went to PR twice but shipped her south on Dockwise Yacht transport. The other return trip the boss wanted to save engine hours, so we shipped from St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale than ran up from there.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI, while the longer trips garner more attention, I actually do shorter, one or two-day deliveries also. Since the Erie canal trip, I have brought boats from Sag Harbor, Hampton Bays, Montauk, NY and Indian River, De. to NJ for winter storage and maintenance.
Long or short, it doesn't matter your delivery gets the same level of attention from me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts