BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my annual trip to Penn yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised. Each year I take my reels in for repair at the Penn facility in Philadelphia. I really go there to attend WING BOWL, but I tell my wife I'm going to get my reels repaired.

After WING BOWL, I drove over to Penn. In the past, this was a horrible experience. One year, I had to take a leak, and they wouldn't let me inside to go to a bathroom. I had to walk to a pizza parlor. Another year, I waited 45 minutes before someone checked in my reels. This year was different.

I walked upstairs to the greeting area, which used to look like a dungeon. They've fixed it up, and I was able to sit and read a magazine. In the past, they would take my reels and tell me to come back in a month to pick them up, or, I could have them shipped to my house and pay for it.

This year, they told me if I wanted to wait, my reels would be fixed in less than an hour. I thought they were joking me, but they were serious. They put in a new repair system, and were confident the reels could be fixed. I decided to wait.

The lady behind the counter was very friendly. One year I went there, the lady told me to shut up and wait for someone, they were very busy. This year, they were very nice, and I was even able to buy a Penn hat for just $5 and I needed it, it was only 20 degrees outside.

I sat there for about 15 minutes wondering if I was being joked on. I expected after an hour some mean woman would come out and tell me to go home and they would ship my reels to me next month. But then this guy walked out, put something on the table, and asked if i was being taken care of. I said yes, but then I thought I'd really put them to the test - I asked this guy if I could go to the bathroom.

He said sure and invited me in. I really didn't have to take a leak, but I just wanted to see what was inside. I've heard so many stories about what a dump this place is, I had to see it for myself. After fishing Penn reels for 20 years, I was finally in the hallowed gorund.

The place looked beautiful. Nothing extravagant, but very nice. People were talking to each other and looked happy. This guy takes me to the bathroom and I went inside and pretended to take a leak. When I come out, he asks if I've ever seen the place where they fix reels. I said no, and he took me on a tour. I couldn't believe this was happening.

First he took me where they put the reels together. There must have been 100 people all assembling reels from scratch. He told me they do several thousand reels a day and everyone was very busy, so I guess they are doing good. The people kept calling this guy Mr. Kevin, I suddenly realized this was the President. He seemed like a regular guy. The President of my company is an *******. He makes us call him sir, and if i ever called him Mr. Robert I'd be fired.

This Kevin guy then takes me to the repair area, where they have about 10 people who just fix reels that come in from all over the country. Really nice people. One guy there has been with Penn for 47 years and is a great guy. He can fix any reel. I was able to watch some of my reels being repaired.

I must admit I was impressed. These people are working their asses off so I can fish. They know their stuff. I told them a few things I was doing to my reels and they showed me the right way to do it without making me feel like some dumb shmuck.

My reels were finished in 45 minutes. Mr. Kevin gave me the managers phone number to call if I had any problems. I put my new hat on and started the long drive home. The WING BOWL was a lot of fun this year, but I think I'll remember my trip to Penn for many years.

[ 02-04-2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Another good reason to buy Penn. Wish I lived closer to bring my reels in

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
N P F---WELCOME TO THE BAQRN HOME YOU LIKE IT.HOPE TO READ SOME POSTS ON YOUR CATCHES. WHAT KIND OF FISHING DO YOU DO MOSTLY??

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
where is penn in philadelphia located that you used??? i have a couple reels i would like to have serviced including a senator 4/0 that someone had thrown out in trash seems to work ok just needs a little cleaning

thanks

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Hey, are them swimsuit models there?LOL How bout them swimsuits? I need one for the little "lady".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sea Devil
Member # 1584 where is penn in philadelphia located that you used???

PENN FISHING TACKLE MANUFACTURING COMPANY
3028 WEST HUNTING PARK AVE.
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19132
PHONE: 215-229-9415

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on the hook
Member # 3097 Hey, are them swimsuit models there?LOL How bout them swimsuits? I need one for the little "lady".

WHAT SWIMSUITS?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spooled
Member # 1176 Wish I lived closer to bring my reels in

You can package them up and send to:
FACTORY REPAIR SERVICE
PENN FISHING TACKLE
3028 W. HUNTING PARK AVE.
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19132

They send them back as if they were brand new. Go to their website at www.pennreels.com for more information on how to get them repaired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BIGGESTJACK
Member # 3053 N P F---WELCOME. WHAT KIND OF FISHING DO YOU DO MOSTLY??

STRIPERS FROM THE BEACH. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE WEATHER TO GET WARM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BIGGESTJACK
Member # 3053 N P F---WELCOME. WHAT KIND OF FISHING DO YOU DO MOSTLY??

STRIPERS FROM THE BEACH. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE WEATHER TO GET WARM.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
NPF< look up the Penn thread in the tackle box :D

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Nice experience at Penn. The new owners seem to be doing things right. I just saw a few of their new inshore rods today at Sports Auth. and they were real nice and resonably priced. 7' Medium ;) Penn Power Graph I'm pretty sure was the model with cork handle spinning model was about $50. Nice stick.

·
Registered
557 Posts
SOYOU LIKE YOUR TOUR OF PENN. THE MAN WHO WORKS FOR PENN FOR 47YRS. IS A FRIEND OF MINE AT WORK THEY CALL HIM MR. SINATRA HE ALWAYS SINGS HIS REAL NAME IS JERRY KIEMER. I BOWLED WITH HIM FO OVER 15YRS.YES HE CAN FIX JUST ABOUT ANY REEL MADE.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I will also be dropping off my reels in about a month. Its good to here the system has improved. I was a little worried with the change in management.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What kind of job do you have that you have to call your boss "SIR"? That is aweful! May be time for you to find a new career path.

Wow.........they let you use the bathroom!!! Man, I would have kissed their feet for that kind gesture. Maybe the next time they'll let you sweep the floor. Or better yet, while you're in the bathroom maybe MR. KEVIN will let you clean the toilets.

Just kidding........don't get crazy. Listen , if they wanted to impress you they could have given you discount coupons for 30% off your next reel

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Yes, Things Have Changed....

I worked there about 20yrs ago and
at that time the place was in lockdown during
the day,and Guards use to check the Employees
at the door searching for stolen parts..
Especially during the Run of the Gold Plated
50Yr Annv.International Reel Productions.....

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
Guards use to check the Employees
at the door searching for stolen parts..
They didn't do a very good job because a whole lotta parts were floated out of there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi......WOW......Tours of the plant. GREAT!!! What times do the tours start? Do they have them throughout the day? I have alot of kids in the neighborhood who would like something like that.Could get them interested in fishing and keep them out of trouble.It sounds like a nice civic gesture being run by Penn Reel.More companies should take pride in treating the little people right. Who do I need to contact and how? (phone-mail)Hope to get some replys on how to go about getting this thing started.

Take care..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Agree things are quicker. Dropped reels off on a Thursday and got call on Tuesday that they were ready. In past it would take three weeks or so it seemed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts