BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding them to the boat.
What do you guys with outrigger experience think is the best way to go with for my boat. ( Below )

Side mount 15ft. ?
Or Top mount 15FT. Telescopic ?

Thanks, Paul ;)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump,
Thats right, I bumped my self.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Through the top for sure. I liked the Etec's I had on the Grady. Gunnel mounts get in the way when bottom fishing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would go with taco top mounts and 1 1/2 poles. spend a little more if possible for the larger size. The 1 1/8 seem to small imo. good luck

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
With that nice hard top as a base I would go with top mounts. As Drifter said, it's good to keep the gunnels clear. I have the top mounts on my CC and they work well.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
top mount but wouldnt recomend telescopic unless its a needed for storage

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the opinions guys.
Looks like top mount all the way.

CC Marine,
Thats a good deal plus installation. But were going to do it are selves before the boat go's in the water. Thanks !

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BACK TO REELALITY said:
top mount but wouldnt recomend telescopic unless its a needed for storage
I've heard this before, What is so bad about telescopic ?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have Taco telescoping poles on my t-top. They have never been a problem. Put them on new in 2001. They are always extended and show no sign of bending.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
They all get in the way to some extent. I kept mine off until I needed them later in the season. It was a pain when fishing sod banks and casting. You always had to be aware of the riggers when casting to the bank.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
On a cabin boat like yours I would put 18' Lee side mounts. Longer pole, more spread. I doubt they would be in the way bottom fishing. I had 18' Lees gunnel mounts on my 20' Grady center console. Left them at the dock if we weren't trolling. I would also add a center rigger if you are thinking of offshore tuna.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Paul, I know your boat pretty well and the kind of fishing you do. Go with top mounts, the side mounts will be a pain. If you need any help drop me an email or call. I might be able to save you some $$, depending on which riggers you decide on.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
My 2 euros,
For the style boat you have I would go with side/mount riggers.Looking at your boat it is a cabin style side mount would be best they wont get in the way since its not a walk around or CC.
I have riggers off my hard top but I have a CC.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Paul As Tight As The Slips Are Where Your At You Need Your Gunnels Clear. :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
on the top

I would go with mounting them to the top, they are out of the way, just turn the handle and you are ready to go. The old rig had them down on the side and they got in the way or we had to take them off when we bottom fished.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Nice boat!!! I put top mount with 15 ffot telescopeing 1 1/8 poles on my 21 foot last year. The tigress 1 1/8 are alot stiffer than the taco 1/1/8.
I put two nylon cleats about 4 inches long on the poles to keep the lines neat when compacted. I didnt want to drill the poles till I was sure where I wanted the cleats so I temporarily strapped them on with nylon tie straps and wrapped the bottoms with electrical tape. The cleats have worked out so good I havent bothered to make the mounting permanent.I then wrap a couple velcro straps around the whole mess to keep it secure. Tigress is a good company. When one of my poles was damaged in shipping from an online suplier I called Tigress and they sent me a new pole even tough I hadnt bought the poles from them directly.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts